Open Office and Deep Freeze

Issues related to the use and operation of Family History Centers
rl_albright

Open Office and Deep Freeze

Post by rl_albright »

I know Open Office likes to update things quite frequently, will this cause problems when I install Deep Freeze? I am starting the re-image process on one computer thus far and the FHC Directors wish to have the systems locked down so no changes could be made. Someone mentioned Deep Freeze, and now that is what they want. My question will it cause any problems? Can Open Office be included as part of the update thaw cycle?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Open Office and Deep Freeze

Post by russellhltn »

I don't have an answer to your question, but I thought LibreOffice was the generally preferred version.

Depending on what kind of "lock down" they want, you might not need Deep Freeze. To me, Deep Freeze is best used when you want to allow people to change the computer. For example, in a computer lab where students need to learn about the computer.

In a library situation, the machine could be locked down so as to prevent changes in the first place. So Deep Freeze isn't needed. If you don't use Deep Freeze, then updates become a non-issue. That's the route I've taken.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Family History Centers”