Newer, but fewer computers

Issues related to the use and operation of Family History Centers
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Newer, but fewer computers

Post by russellhltn »

drepouille wrote:For the past several years, our FM's directions to our STS (me) have been very clear.
Does FM trump the Operations Guide? Note that this guide only came out in the last month or so. Note that FM's stand may be correct with regard to clerk machines. But with respect to the FHC machines, I'd think "Their (FHD's) machines, their rules."
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

drepouille wrote:For the past several years, our FM's directions to our STS (me) have been very clear. All hard drives must be wiped clean.
In the past, these were our FM Group instructions as well. I know we are talking about FHC computers here in this topic, but earlier this year we turned in a dozen Clerk Admin computers with instruction from FM that they did not need to be wiped clean. FM said "the Church contractor" would do it as part of their disposal contract.
rsidwell

Post by rsidwell »

My FM also said that wiping drives is part of their disposal process, but that I (the STS) should do it too. Just to be sure, I guess. I also lamented that it was such a shame that useful (even though old) hardware was just being destroyed rather than being reused. He didn't know all the reasons, but thought it was part of the Church's contract with Dell. I think it's common for tech hardware makers to include destruction clauses in their contracts to avoid having new owners trying to get support for old equipment, as well as increasing the market for new equipment. I guess it makes sense economically, though I don't like it personally.

So I was surprised to see the statement in the new FHC Operations Guide that FHC computers could be given to members. So either the FHD has a different contract, or our speculation was wrong. (Both equally likely.)
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

rsidwell wrote:I also lamented that it was such a shame that useful (even though old) hardware was just being destroyed rather than being reused. He didn't know all the reasons, but thought it was part of the Church's contract with Dell.
I don't know the reasons either but it may be to make sure that the hardware is properly disposed of (and recycled where possible). Since computer components often contain toxic materials not disposing of the equipment properly could expose the church to liability for toxic waste.

But if that's the case, it makes less sense that FHC computer could be given to members.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

russellhltn wrote:
drepouille wrote:For the past several years, our FM's directions to our STS (me) have been very clear.
Does FM trump the Operations Guide? Note that this guide only came out in the last month or so. Note that FM's stand may be correct with regard to clerk machines. But with respect to the FHC machines, I'd think "Their (FHD's) machines, their rules."
The FM was following the instructions from the FHD that came with the delivery of new computers for the FHC. Since many of the old computers being replaced had dual-core processors, I believe the FHD may have wanted to "cascade" our FHC computers elsewhere. So I was told I could not harvest parts from their carcasses -- they had to be able to POST and boot, although I did wipe the hard drives.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

drepouille wrote:I believe the FHD may have wanted to "cascade" our FHC computers elsewhere. So I was told I could not harvest parts from their carcasses -- they had to be able to POST and boot, although I did wipe the hard drives.
Perhaps, but that would be the first report that FHD is still cascading. Maybe it was being cascaded into another application. I've heard nothing like that. I wonder if your FM group is disposing of them by donating to charity?

I say that because I've harvested parts with zero blowback. From the arrangements that my local FM made, I think the units were picked up for disposal, not re-use.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Family History Centers”