Newer, but fewer computers

Issues related to the use and operation of Family History Centers
drepouille

Newer, but fewer computers

Post by drepouille »

We just received a message from FamilySearch FHC Support (via our FM) that two of the four FHCs in our stake will be receiving new computers soon. However, the number of new computers is half the number currently installed, and the message instructs us to wipe and return ALL existing computers, even if their performance is just fine.

I wish I had known about this downsizing before we went through all the effort to run Ethernet cables to all FHC computers so they could be connected to port 2 on the 881W firewalls. Our FM just expended a bunch of time and money doing that for us. Now those extra wired connections will no longer be needed.

I think that computer usage is measured both by Tivoli and by the monthly report the FHC directors are supposed to submit. FamilySearch is probably paying for Windows 7 Pro licenses, so they want to save money by cutting down on computers that are not regularly used.

Is this downsizing a trend among most USA-based FHCs?
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Newer, but fewer computers

Post by russellhltn »

drepouille wrote:FamilySearch is probably paying for Windows 7 Pro licenses, so they want to save money by cutting down on computers that are not regularly used.
I wonder how that's structured. If the computer was new, the license would come with it and I don't think there would be any on-going expense.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:I wonder how that's structured.
Let's see. Two new computers to FHC. Four working computers returned. Two additional FHCs get two computers each.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

We'll have to see how that goes in my stake. We have 8 computers for the patrons (9 if you count the microfilm scanner). Plus a server and office computer.

A significant reduction will be an issue.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
drepouille

OptiPlex 9030 All-in-One Desktop

Post by drepouille »

The new FHC computers we received are Dell OptiPlex 9030 All-in-One Desktop. I believe they have a 23-inch screen, which can be raised/lowered, tilted, and even rotated 90 degrees. I haven't picked them up from the FM yet, but I believe they have an i5 processor and either 4 or 8 GB memory. Not sure if these have the optional touch screen or not.

I also don't know if they have already received the standard FHC image. I sure hope so, because I am afraid the Windows 7 Pro image I received last year may not have the correct drivers for the OptiPlex 9030.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

FYI - There is bootable USB V4 FHC image (10.6/7Gb), downloadable using the FHC Application Finder app.
I can't remember if the 9030 is one of the supported PC's. Further info, download the file whilst logged in as an Administrator.

One final caveat, found out after wasting a great deal of time, if you use a USB 3.0 memory stick in one of the USB 3.0 ports the installation fails (some sort of timing issue) almost immediately. Using a USB 2.0 port, the image installs fine!

I hope this info is of some use!
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

I just booted one up. It has an Intel i5-45905 CPU @ 3.0 GHz, and 4 GB memory. The hard drive appears to be a 128 GB SSD, with a 10 GB Restore partition, and a 110 GB C partition. It appears in Device Manager as "SK hynix SC210 2.55 SCSI Disk Device". The stand is the basic model, so you can't rotate the screen or raise/lower the screen, but you can tilt it. It appears to have a webcam, microphone, and speakers, but I do not believe it has a wireless adapter.

The computer has a FHC image on it, and includes a "First-Run Document" that includes the default passwords. Important note: "must be setup at the Family History Center for Windows Activation".
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

The Dell 9030 is listed as one the PC's on the V4 image.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

What is even better, that image is loaded into a recovery partition, and all you have to do to restore the image is to press F11 during a boot.
bookwalk

Post by bookwalk »

Can we just refuse the 2 new computers so we can keep what we have?

We need and use the 3 we have (asked for 4). We increase our hours, but we provide FHC service over a 50-75 mile radius and have many patrons who have no computer or internet at home, or are home bound (so we have staff working on a FHC computer with their data). We also help patrons during SS time one-on-one teaching, so I will probably have to bring in my own computer if we lose one, but of course, it will not have the Premium websites.

This is an immediate dilemma as these 2 new computers are coming next week and to then have to downsize number of computers, when we are trying to increase teaching opportunities in our very fast-growing ward--we have had about 2 new families moving in every week and baptisms about every other week.

Are we phasing out FHC's--we have been assured that is not going to happen, but it seems to be as one other issue is that our FHC Director/Asst Director are not supposed to be in the Stake Leadership Directory anymore per the MLS dept.

Return to “Family History Centers”