Deep Freeze questions

Issues related to the use and operation of Family History Centers
jasondivy

Deep Freeze questions

Postby jasondivy » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:22 pm

We've been having issues lately with missionaries on the FHC computers, and are looking at installing Deep Freeze from the FHC App Finder. A cursory search indicates that Windows 7 is probably supported.

When we looked into this before, it was going to be a hassle. Firefox (for instance) was not yet supported by the church, and we didn't want it running a new update after every reboot (and there was no obvious way to do a CLI update).

What kind of issues can we expect to look forward to? I take it there are ways to exclude given paths. Do we need to exclude Browser directories, for instance? How do Windows updates work? Java? Flash? Adobe? ad infinidum... What software misbehaves, or what behavior catches people off guard and causes problems?

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Deep Freeze questions

Postby russellhltn » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:33 pm

I don't run it myself - but as I understand it, you'll need to thaw it periodically to do the updates. And you probably want to disable in-app updates since it will want to update itself after every boot until you do the thawed updates.

So taking a different tact - what kind of problems are you having? The missionaries shouldn't have admin access to the computers. I run our patrons with "user" (not "power user") rights which limits the kinds of problems the can get into.

And I wouldn't dismiss a call to the mission president. Judging from what our MP has said to our leaders in meetings, If the missionaries are being disobedient, he wants to know about it.
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

Aczlan

Re: Deep Freeze questions

Postby Aczlan » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:36 am

I have used DeepFreeze extensively in a public library setting and the simplest way to make Java, Adobe, etc not annoy people is to turn off all updates, then manually update software monthly.
One way we used to do this in the libraries was to use http://www.updatefreezer.org/
If you do install it, make sure you setup the Deep Freeze Console, that makes it MUCH easier to thaw computers.

Aaron Z

Return to “Family History Centers”