OpenOffice

Issues related to the use and operation of Family History Centers
drepouille

OpenOffice

Postby drepouille » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:53 pm

This is a bit amusing. One of the brand new FHC directors in my stake received her initial training over the phone from FHC Support today. The trainer asked the new director to start OpenOffice and then open a spreadsheet. The director could not find OpenOffice on the computer.

Later, when I chatted with the director, I told her I had installed OpenOffice on all of her computers, so I don't know why she couldn't find it. It wasn't until I got home a few minutes later that I realized I had installed LibreOffice instead of OpenOffice!

When I called the FHC director again, she said that she had seen the LibreOffice icon on the desktop, but didn't make the connection. Apparently, the trainer on the phone also had no idea that LibreOffice existed. It was not on her lesson plan or training script.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska

lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: OpenOffice

Postby lajackson » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:33 pm

drepouille wrote:I realized I had installed LibreOffice instead of OpenOffice!

I would have done the same.

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Postby russellhltn » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:26 pm

When doing installs/updates, I've been installing LibreOffice. I don't have much experience with it, but what I hear is that it's better and more developed than Open.

On the clerk side, we have a choice. But looking at the FHC Operations Guide, I only see OpenOffice listed. That may explain the training script.
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

drepouille

Postby drepouille » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:15 pm

At the moment, I can't recall which was preinstalled by the latest Windows 7 FHC image DVD.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska

aebrown
Community Administrator

Postby aebrown » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:34 pm

drepouille wrote:At the moment, I can't recall which was preinstalled by the latest Windows 7 FHC image DVD.

According to the document in the FamilySearch Help Center titled "Dell Optiplex 9020 First-Run Document", LibreOffice 4.1 is preinstalled.

I've installed LibreOffice on all of our FHC computers and never had any problems -- I consider it to be superior to OpenOffice at this point.

Return to “Family History Centers”