New FHC Computers Is RATOC SCSI to USB cable still available

Issues related to the use and operation of Family History Centers
Bizegrama

Re: New FHC Computers Is RATOC SCSI to USB cable still avail

Post by Bizegrama »

Wow, so much to consider.

The Adaptec TS person suggested the Adaptec SCSI Card 29160N.

http://www.adaptec.com/en-us/support/sc ... sc-29160n/

Though she said the speed it operates at (160mb/sec) is too fast for most scanners, so they would have to help me turn down the speed. It does come with Win 7 64 bit drivers, and from what I have read on this forum the MS300ii scanner drivers will work.

Any input is appreciated.
danpass

Post by danpass »

The card I have, to which you are welcome is the Adaptec 29320LPE PCI-Express Ultra320 SCSI Controller Card. I also have an adapter cable TMC C7030-3PA-AT -- VHDCI68-HD50, 3FT, w/Active High-Byte. We paid $125 for the card and $34 for the cable. I'm pretty sure our FHC director will agree to just let you have either or both, if they will solve your problem and if you were to pay for the shipping.
Bizegrama

Post by Bizegrama »

danpass wrote:The card I have, to which you are welcome is the Adaptec 29320LPE PCI-Express Ultra320 SCSI Controller Card. I also have an adapter cable TMC C7030-3PA-AT -- VHDCI68-HD50, 3FT, w/Active High-Byte. We paid $125 for the card and $34 for the cable. I'm pretty sure our FHC director will agree to just let you have either or both, if they will solve your problem and if you were to pay for the shipping.
Thanks, I will have to check and see if it will work with the new computer or older one. I'll do a little research.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

danpass wrote:The SCSI card in our original scan station did not have Windows 7 support. I did try installing it in the new computer, but Windows could not find a driver for it, nor could I find one to download. Your card is probably newer.
Maybe. I think we were part of the original roll-out. I might have found the drivers with the help of either the forum or the FHC mailing list. But for Win7/32, XP drivers usually work just fine. It's Win7/64 that causes no end of grief for older hardware. (Which is why I suggested looking at using one of the other computers in your center for the scanner.)

I'll have to stop by the FHC and check the model.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

russellhltn wrote:I'll have to stop by the FHC and check the model.
According to the sticker on the chip: Adaptec AVA-2930LP. It's a half-height card. The scanner says "Canon Microfilm Scanner 300" on the front, "M31022" on the back. All under Win7/32-bit.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Bizegrama

Post by Bizegrama »

The old HP Comapq 530 has an Adaptec AHA 2930 cu SCSI card. The old card is 2.5 x 4.7 inches, so will not fit in new Dell Optiplex 7010 which has one PCI slot & one PCI express slot that are smaller. There is a Win 7 32 bit driver for the old card, but no Win 7 64 bit driver. Speed is real slow compared to the newer cards. 20mb/sec versus 160mb/sec or higher.

Need to make another call to Adaptec. I need to find out if what will work with a speed 1/6 of newer cards. I will check for drivers for MS300 on newer computers (but doubt they will have them since scanner is so old). The older cascaded might have them.

Hmm... I will be working on computers and rearranging computers, etc tomorrow at FHC. If I can find a way, maybe I can just leave old computer with MS300 scanner. Our space is very tight. We have most of the computers in what use to be cloak room, and in the main room (which use to be Relief Society room before we got Phase 2 addition). I have one computer on rolling cart, 3 microfilm viewers, 1 microfiche viewer, 3 tables for microfilm viewers, a file cabinet, a film cabinet, a rolling cart for a few research books, etc. My other big problem is lack of wall plugs. I had to get FM to more in area that is old cloak room area (behind accordion door). But if I move more equipment out in main room, I will need more plugs (even with surge protectors) as there is only one plug on each two sides of room.

Thank you. All will let you know how this all proceeds
danpass

Post by danpass »

Bizegrama wrote:I will check for drivers for MS300 on newer computers (but doubt they will have them since scanner is so old). The older cascaded might have them.
Others have already indicated that there are both 64 and 32 bit Windows 7 drivers available for the MS300.
Bizegrama

Post by Bizegrama »

danpass wrote:The card I have, to which you are welcome is the Adaptec 29320LPE PCI-Express Ultra320 SCSI Controller Card. I also have an adapter cable TMC C7030-3PA-AT -- VHDCI68-HD50, 3FT, w/Active High-Byte. We paid $125 for the card and $34 for the cable. I'm pretty sure our FHC director will agree to just let you have either or both, if they will solve your problem and if you were to pay for the shipping.
danpass, the card you have, the Adaptec 29320LPE PCI Express, is one of the two that the Adaptec TS recommended. Will talk with Adaptec tomorrow. It will require an adapter as the MS300 has 50 pin and the 29320 is 68 pin. I will PM you tomorrow. We have no problem paying for postage if it will work for us. Thank you so much for the offer.
danpass

Post by danpass »

Bizegrama wrote:It will require an adapter as the MS300 has 50 pin and the 29320 is 68 pin.
You will not need to buy an adapter. The adapter cable I offered to you along with the SCSI card is exactly what you need.
danpass

Post by danpass »

Bizegrama wrote:I will PM you tomorrow. We have no problem paying for postage if it will work for us. Thank you so much for the offer.
You're welcome. I'm glad that it will be put to good use.

I just spoke with the FHC director and she did agree to let you have the card and cable.

Return to “Family History Centers”