Family Tree not working on FHC computers

Issues related to the use and operation of Family History Centers
Biggles

Re: Family Tree not working on FHC computers

Post by Biggles »

I've found that if you are not behind the Church Firewall the FHC version of the TEM application wouldn't allow the browser to log on to the Premium sites i.e. Ancestry.com.

TEM in the FHC scenario, is also responsible for security updates as well as offering FH related applications.

It may well be worth checking with FHC support that the FHC is correctly registered with them, as this would also preclude access to any of the Premium FH on line services.
theClaw56

Post by theClaw56 »

Yesterday I finally submitted an FHC Support email. It turns out that this is an issue they have dealt with before. The 881W firewall needs a script installed if there is an FHC in the building. The firewalls are shipped without that script installed. It took only a minute to install the script and the problem is solved.

Below is the response I got back from FHC Support:

Support@familysearch.org via larsen-family.us
4:09 PM (2 hours ago)

John
Thanks for contacting Family Search Support. We are sorry for the problem. The issue and difference is the FHC computers have a proxy installed and communicates with the proxy in SL. The issue is a firewall issue and can easily be fixed. Please call 866-678-2763 option 1,3,3 and have ICS re-script the firewall for the Family History Center bypass. You can also call 866-406-1830 and we will be glad to call ICS and have this done for you.
Family Search Support

----------------------
(CaseID:3306162)
----------------------
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Hmmmm. Odd that the other PCs work ok, but hey, whatever fixes it.

Thanks for the update.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
theClaw56

Post by theClaw56 »

The FHC PCs need to go through the proxy in order to pick up the premium services like Ancestry.com. The other computers in the building don't go through the proxy, that's why they worked okay.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Sorry, I thought some of the FHC computers worked. In re-reading, I see it was clerk computers that worked. Yes, that does explain it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

That is very good to know! My FM group is replacing older firewalls with 881W firewalls this year, and I have four FHCs in my stake. I need to check the meetinghouses they have worked on to ensure those FHCs can still access their premium sites, as well as Family Tree.

Thanks!
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
jdhobbs

Post by jdhobbs »

I am very glad too see this thread as it directly related to our FHC problems. It also corrected our problems.
Perseverance
Good work.
mx4525

Post by mx4525 »

Hi I had a problem once where the wireless access points were trying to take over for the firewall as the dhcp server for the building which caused all the computers on the lan to not be able to access the internet. The solution was to set static ips for the wireless access points and limit their range of addresses. After that I rebooted the firewall and the access points and it worked. In a few cases I needed to set a static ip for some of the machines as a sort of band aid for the issue. If you have wireless access points make sure you run a trace to the firewall and make sure nobody is trying to act as a middle man. This was a particularly annoying problem for me and I figure it has to do with my ignorance of large scale networking setups. In essence I'd be sure your route to the firewall is clear and that the route from there on is clear. Make sure none of the gateways on the computers turns up as something it isn't directly connected to.

Return to “Family History Centers”