Canon Microfilm Scanner USB / Win 7 Issue

Issues related to the use and operation of Family History Centers
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Canon Microfilm Scanner USB / Win 7 Issue

Post by russellhltn »

JohnShaw wrote:When I upgraded to Win 7 64bit on my clerk computers I had to setup a couple of very old printers that didn't have Win7 64bit drivers, but did have Vista 64bit drivers.
Win 7 isn't much different from Vista. But WinXP to Vista or Win7 is quite a jump. 32-bit to 64 bit is just as bad.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Bizegrama

Post by Bizegrama »

rolandc wrote:If that is the one with a SCSI interface also, call FamilySearch support and tell them you need a Full of half height SCSI card. We did and ours does work with windows 7.

After the card is working, you really don't need to do much other than install Xnview program. Simple program and it runs the scanner perfectly as long as the scanner is on BEFORE you boot the PC.
Thanks Roland for the heads up. We currently have the Canon 300 with SCSI interface, and use the Xnview program. I'd hate to think we'd get new computers (ours 8-9 yrs old) and not be able to use our Canon 300. Our patrons love being to download images to a jumpdrive. I wondered what I would do if the they sent new computers without a SCSI interace.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

We upgraded our computer with the SCSI interface to the Canon. I just moved the card to the new computer....
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
sammythesm

Post by sammythesm »

OK - so a little egg on my face on this one. I did not look closely at the model number and it was - in fact - a 300 II, which does have Win 7 drivers. I downloaded all 3 packages on the website (even though they were dreadfully unspecific on what they did), unzipped them onto the desktop in a folder, and then did a manual driver install from device manager (choosing that directory as the destination to look for the driver). It actually ended up detecting and installing 3 different devices, a Canon Mass Storage, a Canon USB to SCSI interface, and the scanner itself.

I'm not sure what the resolution is for people with the "300" and not the 300 II. I guess my only recommendation is to look closely at the model #. :)
quintonrhq

Post by quintonrhq »

We also have a Cannon 300 in the FHC. New computers arrived with Win 7 and no slots for a SCSI I/F card as before. We had to fall back to the old U2SCX USB to SCSI 50 pin interface. The Cannon 300II software works under Win 7 from the Cannon support website. The U2SCX interface driver was found on http://www.scsiproshop.com in Japan. It supports Win 7 x64 etc. It is a Japanese language website (Google translate saved the day) and the cost was about $22.
In addition the U2SCX has a 5 volt connector on the side of the I/F. I modified a wall wart with a 3 terminal regulator to deliver 5.00 volts DC and power the I/F even when the Cannon 300 is off. This gets around a nasty problem of having the Cannon on and burning the lamp to keep the I/F alive.

Return to “Family History Centers”