Can't access premium sites on FHC computer

Issues related to the use and operation of Family History Centers
tanderson

Can't access premium sites on FHC computer

Post by tanderson »

I have one computer in our stake fhc that can't access the premium sites in the LDS portal when logged in as patron. It works just fine when logged in as administrator. I thought it might be a certificate issue, but the Landesk installation appears to be fine. It's my understanding that Landesk should take care of the certificate during installation. Has anyone had this problem, or have any suggestions for me? Thanks!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Sounds like the proxy settings for Patron are wrong. In addition to the certificate, there's some proxy settings (that should be done automatically) that need to happen.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rolandc

Post by rolandc »

Set the patron account to admin, Reinstall landesk on the patron account. Verify access then change it back to a limited account. Should work, I had several that did that exact thing.
Roland
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I think it's simpler then that. Go into admin, note what the proxy settings are, then go into patron and make those same changes. Note: you may have to elevate the patron account to admin to make the changes.

The one thing I dislike about doing installs as a "patron admin" is that the patron continues to have elevated privileges to the installed program due to the "Owner/creator" rights - even after being demoted to "user".
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

set patron to Admin and run the Portal-config (or something like that) set patron back... you might try run as option as well..... it's a pretty quick fix
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

JohnShaw wrote:set patron to Admin and run the Portal-config (or something like that) set patron back... you might try run as option as well..... it's a pretty quick fix

I'm not sure as it's still there. I didn't see it the last time I looked, but it might be hiding in plain sight.

aebrown
Community Administrator

Re:

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote:
JohnShaw wrote:set patron to Admin and run the Portal-config (or something like that) set patron back... you might try run as option as well..... it's a pretty quick fix
I'm not sure as it's still there. I didn't see it the last time I looked, but it might be hiding in plain sight.
It's still there. Go to http://fhc.familysearch.org/ and look in the big blue box titled "Premium Family History Websites Help (Center Access Only)"; in the first sentence is a link to open PortalCfg.
tanderson

Re: Can't access premium sites on FHC computer

Post by tanderson »

Thanks for all the great help! I changed patron to an admin account, accessed the premium sites, then changed patron back to standard user. It worked at that point without having to reinstall anything. Thanks again!

Return to “Family History Centers”