Issues related to the use and operation of Family History Centers
farwest

Networking printers

Post by farwest »

Looking for info on. Networking printers FH. Center tried online
XP instructions didn't work
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

If the printer is setup either using wireless or plugged in with an Ethernet Cable, you must know the IP Address of the networked printer. In a small network like an FHC, the best practice for success is to assign a static IP Address (one that doesn't change) to the printer. The printer documentation should come with instructions for this. If you are unfamiliar with how the Church firewalls assign addresses this is covered in other forum topics, or you could call the Global Service Center. The static range will be different depending on the firewall you have in place. If that hasn't been done or if the IP Address is unknown, I would contact the STS. If the Network printer is setup and ready to go, I found a great document on setting up a Network Printer on Windows XP here...

http://uis.georgetown.edu/software/docu ... inter.html
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

FamilySearch has been in the process of sending out printers with specific instructions for installation. Their goal is to standardize the printers used in the FHC.

You may want to contact the Family History department for details. Especially if this is a new printer.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
farwest

Post by farwest »

older printers, cisco 881
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Are these printers that have their own network card, or are they locally attached printers that you're trying to share out to the network?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

farwest wrote:Looking for info on. Networking printers FH. Center tried online
XP instructions didn't work
It's really hard for us to help when you don't provide any details. You'll get much better responses if you mention:
  • Printer make and model
  • Type of connection (network jack on printer, or connected directly to a computer)
  • What you tried to do
  • What problems you experienced
  • etc.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
sammythesm

Post by sammythesm »

If you are using a newer printer that has an ethernet port which you will directly connect to your network, I would highly recommend configuring your printers using Bonjour.

Bonjour is a network discovery protocol that comes standard on most newer printers with network interfaces, and advertises the printer's name and IP address across the network.

On Macs, if you go to add a printer, it will (by default) find the printer and install it.

Apple has a client called "Bonjour Print Services for Windows" which you can install on Windows computers which will do the same thing - discover Bonjour printers and install them.

I prefer this methodology because 1) I don't have to mess with static IPs which I always forget and which always seem to need changing due to a router replacement, etc. 2) it is FAR easier to set up the printer using this client than the native windows printer/networking client. 3) it makes it easier to give instructions to new users (i.e. your clerk calls you and wants to be able to print to the printer) over the phone w/o having to configure the printer for them.

So... back to the OP's question - sounds like you need to use "File and Print Sharing for Windows" - do a few google searches or come back with more details to the forums and we can help.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

sammythesm wrote:If you are using a newer printer that has an ethernet port which you will directly connect to your network, I would highly recommend configuring your printers using Bonjour.
That's fine for home use, but the OP was talking about a FHC. That's not standard practice there.

sammythesm wrote:static IPs which I always forget and which always seem to need changing due to a router replacement, etc.

Which reminds me, I need to label the ones in my center.

aclawson

Post by aclawson »

It has been reported that Bonjour was causing some machines to take up to 20 minutes to boot because the LDS firewall wasn't letting it through and the application wouldn't stop trying.
sammythesm

Post by sammythesm »

aclawson wrote:It has been reported that Bonjour was causing some machines to take up to 20 minutes to boot because the LDS firewall wasn't letting it through and the application wouldn't stop trying.

I've not seen any such problem. I don't think bonjour is blocked on the LAN side of the router (I don't think anything is blocked on the LAN, for that matter). Using bonjour has been great for me, and it's made it a lot easier to instruct others to install/use the network printers, reducing my support headache.

Also @RussellHltn - I don't think there's anything precluding bonjour from being used in a non-"home" setting. And I certainly haven't seen a policy saying you have to configure a FHC printer in a certain way. I work for a large company, and the printers we use have bonjour enabled. I think it's great. Setting up network printers is a huge pain, especially in WinXP, and I'll take anything like this that makes it easier and encourages/helps others take advantage of the networked resource.

Return to “Family History Centers”