Family History Center Computers

Issues related to the use and operation of Family History Centers
john84601

Family History Center Computers

Postby john84601 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:45 pm

As a newly called STS, I have few questions about FHCs. After reading "Policy and Guidelines, For Computers in Family History Centers" (Nov 2008)... I still have the following questions.
  1. I have 5 PCs in one of the FHCs in our stake. Other than the previous STS, who would know how many of those are "church supplied" and how many are "donated'?
  2. Who determines (or how is it determined) how many church supplied PCs a FHC should get?
  3. Is there a process to request more?
  4. Where can I find the "Family History Computer Hardware and Software Order Form"?
  5. Is the replacement cycle still 3 years?

I have 5 computers. The newest of which is more than 5 years old. All of them "power on," but don't really "run" (if you know I mean). A "fast crawl" might be a better description.

I think we could survive with 3 good (which in our case would need to be new) computers. I'm just trying to figure out if I'm likely to get them... or if I'm going to have to baby along some older hardware.

lajackson
Community Moderators

Postby lajackson » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:54 pm

john84601 wrote:
  1. Other than the previous STS, who would know how many [PCs] are "church supplied" and how many are "donated'?
  2. Who determines (or how is it determined) how many church supplied PCs a FHC should get?

Assuming this is an approved FHC with an official church unit number, the Family History Department determines how many computers you get. The Family History Director also will probably know how many computers are authorized. He may even know how the authorization is calculated.

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Postby russellhltn » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:09 pm

In our center, I think the church as supplied one computer and one computer for the microfilm scanner. All the rest started out as qualified donations, but have since been "cascade upgraded" by the church. If you're running the FH supplied LANDesk on them, you may find "new"(used) computers coming your way. Currently most of our machines are Dell GX 280s. They plod along but are not fast. Particularly right after booting up when things are updating and the virus scan is running.
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

john84601

Postby john84601 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:10 pm

I recieved the following URL explaining new FHC computer policies. In case you all haven't seen it.

https://help.familysearch.org/publishing/49/113268_f.SAL_Member.html

Return to “Family History Centers”