MS Update bricks computer

Issues related to the use and operation of Family History Centers
russellhltn
Community Administrator

MS Update bricks computer

Post by russellhltn »

This "patch Tuesday" did a number on our FHC computer. All 6 of them - the computer boots to a black screen with a mouse pointer. Other than a working mouse, it's dead. The computers are old Dell all-in-one. I didn't grab the model number.

The fix is to boot into safe mode, go into control panel, view installed updates, highlight and uninstall KB4493472. (You do have to wait a few minutes for all the updates to appear.) In my case, it was the only update with this month's date: 4/10/19. After uninstalling, reboot. It will take awhile to do it's thing, but it comes back up after that.

Oddly, I then can see updates with a 4/9/19 date that didn't appear before. And if I run a manual check for updates, nothing is outstanding, but I don't see KB4493472. I won't consider myself completely out of the woods until May's patch Tuesday goes by uneventfully.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
drepouille

Re: MS Update bricks computer

Post by drepouille »

All the articles I see today state that KB 4493472 and KB 4493446 are only affecting Win7, Win8.1, Server 2008 R2 and 2012 R2 machines.

I thought we were not supposed "Check for Updates" on Church-managed PCs.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

drepouille wrote:I thought we were not supposed "Check for Updates" on Church-managed PCs.
FHC and clerk computers are managed quite differently. The FHC machine has updates set to auto. I didn't check what server it's using for the updates. The clerk machines seem to check a church server.

In this case I ran "Check for Updates" to see if I could find a flag it to not install as it wasn't showing as a outstanding update.

Off hand I don't remember any directive to not use that function. I have heard that using will cause a more aggressive update over what will happen automatically. "Aggressive" as in you get to be a beta tester. This soon after Patch Tuesday, I don't think there's much risk of that.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Looks like I'm not the only one having problems:

ZDNet: Windows 7 problems: Microsoft blocks April updates to systems at risk of freezing.

"Microsoft and Sophos have identified an issue on devices with Sophos Endpoint Protection installed and managed by either Sophos Central or Sophos Enterprise Console (SEC) that may cause the system to freeze or hang upon restart after installing this update,"

"Sophos is telling users who have installed the update to boot into safe mode, disable Sophos antivirus, then boot into normal mode and uninstall the problematic Windows update. After that, users should re-enable Sophos antivirus."

In my case, I just uninstalled while in safe mode and skipped disabling Sophos.

Return to “Family History Centers”