Trouble installing Linux indexing application

Issues related to FamilySearch Indexing
judio1963

Re: Trouble uninstalling Linux indexing application

Post by judio1963 »

I was provided "indexing_unix.sh" as a download from familysearch.org.
I followed some instructions here and successfully installed indexing_unix.sh to ubuntu.
It didn't function.
I was provided "indexing_windows.exe" as a download from familysearch.org. to windows7.
I sneakernetted the .exe file to the linux machine and installed it without additional help. It works fine.
HOW DO I UNINSTALL "indexing_unix.sh" FROM THE LINUX MACHINE??? The file "uninstall" is not a command.
Thanks for the help cleaning the junk from my system.
fredo
marianomarini

Re: Trouble installing Linux indexing application

Post by marianomarini »

Simply remove the hidden directory FamilysearchIndexing.
munaish

Post by munaish »

Just so you all know, in Ubuntu 14.04 (on both 32 and 64 bit installations) the Windows version works fine through the Windows emulator, Wine. It honors your default web browser, too.
rldleblanc

Post by rldleblanc »

32-bit applications will run on a 64-bit Operating system just fine as long as the 32-bit libraries needed are installed (64-bit applications will not work on a 32-bit OS). Here is what I did to get Family Search Indexing working on Debian Linux (Ubuntu will be similar).

Enable multi-arch support (https://wiki.debian.org/Multiarch/HOWTO)
1. As root, edit the apt sources and add "[arch=amd64,i386]" between 'deb' and the URL. `sudo nano /etc/apt/sources`. The line should look like "deb [arch=amd64,i386] http://mirrors.debian.org/debian wheezy main contrib non-free". Your line may be slightly different. Add the arch information to all lines that have deb and not the ones that have deb-src.
2. Tell Debian to use the i386 architecture. `sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386`
3. Update the package cache. `sudo apt-get update`
4. Install the needed packages for 32-bit operations. `sudo apt-get install libc6:i386 libxtst6:i386`
5. Install Family Search Indexing. I received a number of error messages about issues parsing the XML, but I dismissed them and the program works fine without any other errors.

This is using OpenJDK and IcedTea and not Oracle Java.

Happy Indexing!
munaish

Post by munaish »

@rldleblanc Thanks. It's good to know what libraries we need now that the old way of doing things is out. How did you find out which ones we needed (i.e. libc6:i386 and libxtst6:i386)?

"… if you give a man a fish he is hungry again in an hour. If you teach him to catch a fish you do him a good turn."

—Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (Mrs. Dymond, 1885)

Of course, I'm grateful for the fish, either way (I don't mean to make it sound otherwise by the quote).

So, I'm actually using a 32-bit system (for now, but will probably change in a couple months or so), but I'm still using a solution that works on 64-bit systems, anyway. The reason is that the default browser doesn't launch through the standard indexing installation on Xubuntu 14.04 (this causes more problems than launching the wrong browser for some unknown reason—like it freezes). So, I use the Windows version of the Indexing software through the Windows emulator, Wine, to fix that problem. It works perfectly fine, it seems.
wilyhawk

Post by wilyhawk »

I tried everything in this thread, but nothing helped for my 64-bit Ubuntu 14.04 with Xfce.

I did the easy install method found in this other thread, and it worked right away:
https://tech.lds.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=143&t=19762

Return to “FamilySearch Indexing”