FamilySearch Indexing for Mac

Issues related to FamilySearch Indexing
rickybloomfield

FamilySearch Indexing for Mac

Post by rickybloomfield »

I have recently started using the FamilySearch Indexing Java program for the Mac. When I have used past Java programs on the Mac, I have been given the option to make the applet into a *.app file for easy access. Does anyone know if this is possible for FSI?
Jesse Smith-p40

Post by Jesse Smith-p40 »

Applications --> Utilities --> Java --> Java Web Start.app

highlight it, then

Application --> Create Desktop Application

Loging on is now a different story! It looks like Ensign just crashed the server!!! See Page 34 of the August 2007 issue!! I've been trying for over a half an hour to just submit a batch!!!! They hoped the article would have BIG results, though I don't think they knew it would be this big!!!! :eek:
RichCorbs-p40

Post by RichCorbs-p40 »

Application --> Create Desktop Application?

Sorry I'm a bit of a newbie on Mac, where is this? I searched for it in the finder and couldn't find it.

Does this speed up the launch of FSI at all?

Thanks,

Rich
Jesse Smith-p40

From your main system folder. You go through the folders, Applications --> Utilities --> Java --> Java Web Start.app.

Search for 'Java Web Start.' Click that, then there, at the top left of the screen you'll get the 'Application.'
Click FamilySearch Indexing just once, and then the Create Desktop Application option will work.

Speed wise, I think it just makes it easior to find it. When Family Search Indexing is slow, loading it is still slow.
(I got my last batch submited, did another one, and I've been trying for about an hour to submit this batch.)
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

Jesse Smith wrote:Loging on is now a different story! It looks like Ensign just crashed the server!!! See Page 34 of the August 2007 issue!! I've been trying for over a half an hour to just submit a batch!!!! They hoped the article would have BIG results, though I don't think they know it would be this big!!!! :eek:

Crashed it? Hmm well count our blessings of having tons of extractors. Soon the entire world will be digitalized. :D
- David
Jesse Smith-p40

I started doing this in May. If it was ever slow, it was more like taking just 10 or 20 seconds to load something or log on!! Right now it's like they got a DOS attack from having so many of us trying to do this!! :D I think when they come to work today, they'll probably work on doing some big server upgrades!

It looks like the article did a very good job at flooding the world with extractors, and it's been less than a week since they mailed it out!! :eek:
ClarkeGJ

Mac Indexing

Post by ClarkeGJ »

There is currently not way to make the applet into a *.app file for easy access but we are looking into this possibility. Thanks.

For now, our support for the Mac platform is limited to running it as a Java Webstart App on the Mac Java JRE
Gordon Clarke
FamilySearch DevNet manager
Jesse Smith-p40

From that Java Web Start application you click 'FamilySearch Indexing' once, then from the top of the screen options, click 'Application,' and right there it has a 'Create Desktop Application' which makes an appication for easy access. You can see an example of that at the top of the posted image.
Thor0128-p40

Post by Thor0128-p40 »

Thanks for the information I am going to get my ensign and start playing with this today.
Thor0128-p40

Post by Thor0128-p40 »

I have notice a couple of small bugs, it seems the line numbers when indexing get off by one or two lines when they are highlighted in the upper screen, I have done 2 batches and it has happen on both. :confused:
Glenn Thomas
Kirkland WA

Return to “FamilySearch Indexing”