FamilySearch Indexing ~ Tips to make it easier

Issues related to FamilySearch Indexing
Dave-p40

FamilySearch Indexing ~ Tips to make it easier

Post by Dave-p40 »

Hi,

I am a director and I believe everybody finds new ways to make software easier and more productive. I want to start by sharing a tip. I hope it will help you.

TIP: After you have downloaded a batch (census image) and you find that the highlights need adjusting; my tip is to click on the “*Relationship” field. Then use the Ctrl + Alt + directional keys to move the highlight to the Relationship field.

The second part of this tip is to always stop the software while you're on the Relationship field. This way the next time you start the batch you can easily align the highlights by using the Ctrl + Alt + directional keys to move the highlight to the Relationship field and continue indexing.

I find the adjustment is much easier when you are on the Relationship field.
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

Great tip. I found myself having to keep adjusting the highlights. I was always starting from the left.

Tom
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

I there anyway to save the highlight data. I spent about 10 mins to get it right. Then I saved the batch and returned the next day and the highlights had reverted to the old positions.
- David
Dave-p40

Not currently

Post by Dave-p40 »

thedqs wrote:Is there anyway to save the highlight data. I spent about 10 mins to get it right. Then I saved the batch and returned the next day and the highlights had reverted to the old positions.
Sadly that feature has not been added to the software. Hopefully in the future.
jmasters-p40

A minor nit with the interface

Post by jmasters-p40 »

First off, I think the software and interface for the familysearch indexing application is GREAT! Data entry is very fast, and is something I wish I could use for my old newspaper extraction effort. (different fields, data types, and recurring data (town, page/column numbers, etc))

I've noticed a few problems with the interface in that as I move from line to line, and I want to ensure that I have not skipped a line, I try to match up the line number of the census entry with the line number in the software. But the jump to the new record doesn't bring into view the line number at the far left side of the image.

Also, I notice that once the highlight is set, it doesn't seem to stay in the proper area relative to the field in question as you go from record to record. For instance, the highlight keeps moving further up or down relative to the field as you go through 2, 3, 4 or more records. Maybe have have a "setup test" or "saved preferences" showing your screen resolution, combined with the viewing percentages seen in the application to come up with a more accurate focusing of the highlight on the relevant field.

Additionally, when you're doing a quality check, the highlight field is often VERY FAR from the real entry being asked to check. And there is no apparent way to move that highlight field.

Well, I guess I had more than one nit... sorry. I have submitted a bug report on the discrepency in records completed when you look at your goal section.

But I love the software! And it's a good way to utilize the efforts of many who need a break from beating one's head against a brick wall - genealogically speaking. I must have ancestors in the pre-pioneer era equivalent to the witness protection program...

Justin
jmasters-p40

Oops, one more thing

Post by jmasters-p40 »

I forgot to mention. If I recall correctly, there are instructions (on the web site) for the use of wild card expressions for undecipherable text found on the extraction image. But it's not found (this reference) within the software (probably wisely), and I'm wondering if someone could go into the nitty gritty details explaining how one might conduct a search for a record that might have a submitted regular expression?

For instance, I type in Mis* because I can't read the remainder of the name, due to a photography clip that is situated over a name. As a searcher, how might I find some reference to that individual?

(I'm a regular expression nut from my old days in unix and perl programming, as well as the vi editor (the only true and living editor btw. :D )

And ummm... when/where might we see the information that we type in? Does it go through a 2-3 person cross-check and then get put up on the family search site? No rush or anything... just wondering. I think it's a fantastic endeavor!

Justin
blackrg

Transcription

Post by blackrg »

I'd appreciate some general tips on the transcription myself. When is an image bad enough it should be rejected? Why do all the of census records I'm working on seem to have some sort of writing over the top of the name field? Looks like an identifier of some sort or numerical totals, but whatever it is, it greatly obscures my ability to make out some of the names. I've gone ahead and done these sheets anyway because I'm guessing a better copy wouldn't be on hand - am I right?

How much double checking goes into these records?

How liberal should we be with the use of the wildcards? If we're pretty certain go with it, or if there's any doubt stick to the wildcards?

When this data is put up on the familysearch site will it be linked to the original images as well? If not, could we get a comments field added as well? Two things I've run across of interest so far: One individual that had a 10 year descrepancy between the year of birth and the age at the time of the census. One of the two was definitely wrong, I suspect it was the year of birth which the transcription records, while it ignores the age field. The other was a widow where the number of years she had been married was filled in and then marked out. Since she was a widow, I didn't record it, but that number might be of use to someone somewhere.

Tips on deciphering the writing would be nice as well, but probably impossible since the style changes from one author to the next.
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

jmasters wrote:Also, I notice that once the highlight is set, it doesn't seem to stay in the proper area relative to the field in question as you go from record to record. For instance, the highlight keeps moving further up or down relative to the field as you go through 2, 3, 4 or more records. Maybe have have a "setup test" or "saved preferences" showing your screen resolution, combined with the viewing percentages seen in the application to come up with a more accurate focusing of the highlight on the relevant field.
There is a way to modify the highlight fields. When I get home I can give better instructions but in one of the menus (The one next to File I believe) you can select to modify the highlights. You then move the highlights around and position them in the correct spot. Now one annoyance that I have is that it will change the widths and heights of the highlights in respect to the other records if you just get it off by one pixel. I would appreciate the ability to lock in the height of a record and then it doesn't matter if I put the highlight somewhat into another record because the height and start points are set.
- David
eldredgelarry

CSV file of admin reports

Post by eldredgelarry »

I posted this on the FREP group and Brother Anderson suggested that I post it here.

I have finally completed my report generator. Last year I did one
using PERL but it was quite confusing to use. With the new updates to
the reports on FamilySearchIndexing.org I had to rewrite the scripts
to accommodate the way they are now being done. With over 270
indexers in my stake I find that using this report generator is very
handy for me.
I have test and made improvements to the program for the last two
months it seems to be working.
This is a web application. The program is secure meaning that it uses
a https (secure) connection.

Go to my home page www.eldredge.name on the menu on the left select
report generator.

It requers a username and password.
Please email me for the username and password.

There is a link to the instructions.

Brother Larry Eldredge
Mesa Arizona

Return to “FamilySearch Indexing”