Can't Open Indexing_macos.dmg on OS X El Capitan 10.11.5

Issues related to FamilySearch Indexing
rnetty

Can't Open Indexing_macos.dmg on OS X El Capitan 10.11.5

Postby rnetty » Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:16 pm

Excited to participate in the Indexing event on July 15-17, but I can't even get past opening up the disc image of the indexing app I was asked to download. After downloading and double clicking to open, I get the following error message after waiting 1-2 minutes... "The following disk images couldn't be opened. Image: Indexing_macos.dmg; Reason: Operation timed out"

I don't recall ever having any other rouble opening a disc image before.

Any hints on what needs to happen to open the image and install the app?

sbradshaw

Re: Can't Open Indexing_macos.dmg on OS X El Capitan 10.11.5

Postby sbradshaw » Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:44 pm

It's possible the dmg didn't download correctly – you could try deleting it and downloading again after checking your internet connection, and maybe using a different browser. I'm currently getting an Internal Server Error when I try to download the indexing program at FamilySearch.org, so I'm not able to test on my OS X 10.11.5 computer, but I'll try to remember to test later. Or, maybe the Internal Server Error is an indication of problems that need to be fixed on FamilySearch's end.
Samuel Bradshaw • Interested in church apps and sites, creative recordkeeping, clerk support, YSA wards and stakes, LDS music, Vineyard at BYU, and online service.

rnetty

Postby rnetty » Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:41 pm

Figured out the issue. I saw the note above the Download button stating "If you are new to indexing, you will need to install Java SE6 first." and figured I was good since I had the latest version of JAVA installed. When things weren't working as noted above, I used the link to install Java SE6, dowloaded it, installed it, restated my computer, and the Indexing_macos.dmg I had downloaded previously opened (albeit very slowly). Similarly, the install process ran quite slowly as well, but did finish successfully and I was able to launch the Indexing app after it it finished installing.

sbradshaw

Postby sbradshaw » Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:38 pm

Great!
Samuel Bradshaw • Interested in church apps and sites, creative recordkeeping, clerk support, YSA wards and stakes, LDS music, Vineyard at BYU, and online service.

Return to “FamilySearch Indexing”