Windows XP and indexing

Issues related to FamilySearch Indexing
snewcomer17

Windows XP and indexing

Post by snewcomer17 »

We have members of our stake that do indexing. Some of our members are running windows xp. I am part of our stake's IT committee. There seems to be question if members should continue indexing on xp computers after April 8th. These are personal computers in members homes. With the end of xp support members systems will be vulnerable to hackers and viruses. I understand that indexing will still work on xp systems but should I advise members to consider changing the device they use from an xp system?
gregwanderson

Re: Windows XP and indexing

Post by gregwanderson »

It's not as if the XP computers will cease to function on a specific day. If they're worried about viruses and hackers they can simply turn off their Wi-Fi or unplug their ethernet cable. If we're talking about private computers these folks are using at home then it's entirely up to them if they feel it is not safe to use them anymore. Otherwise, I would simply suggest they do regular back-ups and then replace their computers when the computers get too old, too slow for current software, no longer have practical hard drive capacity, etc., which is usually why I replace a computer and not because it's "broken."
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I think it would be wise to point them to the various articles warning about the end of XP.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

russellhltn wrote:I think it would be wise to point them to the various articles warning about the end of XP.
And Microsoft will pay this kind of advertisement?
Maybe we can say to them to change OS with one less unsecure?
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Indexing won't be a problem on Windows XP computers.

Return to “FamilySearch Indexing”