Latest version for Windows 8

Discussions around the Gospel Library application for Windows for Desktop and Mobile

Moderator: BowmanDH

john.pearson.47

Latest version for Windows 8

Post by john.pearson.47 »

My hard drive crashed. I downloaded Gospel Library for Windows on my Windows 8 tablet. I noticed Oct General Conference is not available. Then I opened Magazines and the latest Ensign is July 2017. So I checked the version and it says ver 2.16.11.190. According to the history it seems to have been created Nov 2016. Is there not a more current version available?

Thank you in advance.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Latest version for Windows 8

Post by russellhltn »

I think you have to be on Windows 10 to get the most recent version of GL for Windows. Something to do with making it a universal app, I think.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
ToManyLetters

Post by ToManyLetters »

russellhltn wrote:I think you have to be on Windows 10 to get the most recent version of GL for Windows. Something to do with making it a universal app, I think.
That's correct. The version of the app we support is Gospel Library for Windows, version 4+, which requires Windows 10. We also support Gospel Library Beta for Windows 10 Mobile, version 4+, however, given Microsoft's announcement concerning Windows phones this last week, we'll be discussing its fate this next week.
Learn more about Gospel Library for Windows 10 Beta at the link below:
https://tech.lds.org/wiki/Gospel_Library_for_Windows_10
jkentner

Post by jkentner »

Bummer for Windows 8 (I have several perfectly good tablets still). So are you saying the content is tied to the version of the app, which is why October 2017 GC doesn't show up?

Good news for Windows 10 Mobile (at least until next conference), I didn't realize the beta version actually had been updated! I have been manually downloading mp3 files to listen to. Thanks for the info!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jkentner wrote:So are you saying the content is tied to the version of the app, which is why October 2017 GC doesn't show up?
Kind of. The content store keeps undergoing changes/upgrades, which requires creating a new content store (rather than breaking all the existing applications). Newer versions use the newer content store. The older versions get stuck in a time-warp as the old content store doesn't get the update love.

So, if your not on the most current version, there's a risk that you're not using the current content store.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Gospel Library for Windows”