Gospel LIbrary for Windows 10 Beta Now Available

Discussions around the Gospel Library application for Windows for Desktop and Mobile

Moderator: BowmanDH

ToManyLetters

Gospel LIbrary for Windows 10 Beta Now Available

Post by ToManyLetters »

A beta of the new version of Gospel Library for Windows is now available via the Windows Store. You can download it via the link below:

Download Gospel Library Beta: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/a ... zdncrdfdcd

Note that we are currently focused on the app as it functions on desktops, laptops, 2-in-1s, and tablets. We are not taking any feedback concerning the application on Windows 10 Mobile at this time as the app, though available for phone users, is not ready for testing on phones.

A few new features worth highlighting:

Support for tags - Windows now supports tags! You can add a tag by going to the Annotations ribbon, clicking the tag icon, and adding as many tags as you like! You can also add a tag to any note when editing your note, or when you first create your note.

- Download All and Download Section - Windows now allows you to download all of the books in your current language in Gospel Library with only a few clicks instead of a few thousand! To download a section, right click (or long press) on its cover on the home page, then click "Download Section." Download All works much the same way, though it is a bit less intuitive at present. To Download All, open the library pane, then right click (or long press) on "Library Contents" and choose "Download Section".

- Notebooks - Windows now also allows you to create notebooks, view content in your notebooks, and add annotations to existing notebooks via the new annotations pane!

- Breadcrumbs - The new omnibox in Gospel Library for Windows breadcrumbs your trail for you, allowing you to step back through any part of your library journey instantly. Further, you can use the arrows next to each part of the breadcrumbs to jump into a different part of the library quickly. You can also use the omnibox as a quick search to find whatever book or chapter you're looking for.

- Custom Themes - We now have a host of custom themes at your disposal in the settings menu. In addition to being able to match your system accent color, you can select a color from a list of fifty colors to customize the look of the application.

- No more confusing radial menu - We listened to your complaints about the radial menu, the circle many people dreaded and too few people were able to figure out. In its place are the new ribbons and, soon, a shiny new context menu to allow you to get marking faster than ever before!

Thank you all for your patience as the volunteer team has worked toward this development milestone for the application. If, in your testing, you come across any bugs, be sure to swing by the known bugs list (linked below) to check that the bug you're seeing isn't something we already know about. If it's something new, let us know so we can work to fix it. To give submit bugs and to give general feedback, you can send an email via the link in the app (Settings > About > Send Feedback).

Known Issues in Gospel Library Beta: https://tech.lds.org/wiki/Gospel_Librar ... eta_Issues

Thank you all and happy gospel study!
Learn more about Gospel Library for Windows 10 Beta at the link below:
https://tech.lds.org/wiki/Gospel_Library_for_Windows_10
ToManyLetters

Re: Gospel LIbrary for Windows 10 Beta Now Available

Post by ToManyLetters »

A couple of other features worth mentioning that I failed to mention earlier:

- New Content Source - This new version of Gospel Library for Windows consumes a new source for its content, meaning it will always have the exact same content as the iOS and Android versions of Gospel Library (formerly, we shared content with just Android.) This also means that limitations caused by older content, like not being able to mark bulleted or numbered lists, content in tables, and other miscellaneous content, no longer exist. You can mark it all!

- Rich Note Formatting - Gospel Library for Windows now also includes a new note editor that provides the ability for you to use bold and italics formatting, as well as bulleted and numbered lists in your notes. Further, you can now include extra spaces between paragraphs to your heart's content. That same note editor offers the ability to add tags and include your notes in any notebook or notebooks of your choosing.

Coming Soon

Here's a list of what's currently being worked on in the app.

Journal Entries - Journal Entries will use the rich editor as notes. You'll be able to create a new journal entry from the Annotations ribbon. This feature is already completed and will be available in an upcoming update to the beta.

Tabs - We're working on bringing tabs back to Gospel Library for Windows as quickly as we can.

We're also looking to include as many features from the previous version of the app as we can. This new beta is definitely a beta--we've got a lot of work ahead of us, but we think you will all really love this new application more and more as we work toward full release.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

How do Journal entries compare to / interact with Notebooks? I know that Android used to have a Journal section, but that feature was specifically removed in Gospel Library 4 for Android, to alleviate confusion and align more closely with iOS (Gospel Library for iOS never had a Journal section). The Journal in Android was basically an "all notes" section – you could create notes directly in the Journal, and any notes you created in a Notebook also showed up in the Journal.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
ToManyLetters

Post by ToManyLetters »

I may not have this exactly correct, as I'm not the one implementing the feature, but it is my understanding that Journal Entries are basically notes without a specific location tied to them. This is, at least, how they work on LDS.org.
ellisonms

Post by ellisonms »

When I launch the V4 Beta the app starts to load then closes. No error code is displayed. Running Window 10 Enterprise 64-bit on a Surface Pro 3. I've removed the app then re-installed but same result.
ToManyLetters

Post by ToManyLetters »

ellisonms,

Are you completely up-to-date on your version of Windows 10? It's likely you'll need to be running the Anniversary Update for the app to function, and I know Enterprise customers (businesses) tend to be pretty bad about keep their operating systems up to date. It's also possible that your antivirus is interfering with the app. Norton/Symantec, McAfee, and Avast have all been guilty of it in the past.
ToManyLetters

Post by ToManyLetters »

Some exiting news!

In the most recent version of the beta, version 3.0.26.0, the app now has another long-awaited feature:

Links - You can add a link in Gospel Library for Windows by selecting text you'd like to link, then clicking the Link button in the Annotations ribbon. Then, navigate to where you'd like to link, and select it. Chose the "Link to <PLACE>" option in the ribbon. Your link is now created!
EJLindsay

Post by EJLindsay »

I have been using Gospel Library for Windows 10 with few problems but the last few days I have had nothing but problems - crashes, downloading content, etc. etc. I have uninstalled and installed again but still many problems. it has become unusable for me. What has happened?
EJLindsay

Post by EJLindsay »

The errors I get are Unknown Error. I see now I can copy the details. I get this error when I try to access the Aaronic PH lesson but I get this error all the time:

Arg_IndexOutOfRangeException
at GospelLibrary.Common.Helpers.UriHelper.GetQueryParams(String uri)
at GospelLibrary.Common.Helpers.UriHelper.GetQueryParamValue(String uri, String key)
at GospelLibrary.UI!<BaseAddress>+0x8c4ced
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
at SharedLibrary!<BaseAddress>+0x3c2c09
at SharedLibrary!<BaseAddress>+0x35369a
ToManyLetters

Post by ToManyLetters »

EJLindsay wrote:I have been using Gospel Library for Windows 10 with few problems but the last few days I have had nothing but problems - crashes, downloading content, etc. etc. I have uninstalled and installed again but still many problems. it has become unusable for me. What has happened?
The first elements of the tabs feature have been implemented and seem to be causing a rather lot of chaos. The 2.0.28.0 update released this morning has helped reduce the issues, but we still have some to chase down. Beta is very beta right now. The more useful information we can get and better bug bashing we can do now, the better the app will be when we prepare for release.
The errors I get are Unknown Error. I see now I can copy the details. I get this error when I try to access the Aaronic PH lesson but I get this error all the time:

Arg_IndexOutOfRangeException
This is, with little doubt, caused by the stuff being done in the background in preparation for tabs. Please be patient with us as we clean up our mess.

Return to “Gospel Library for Windows”