System.Exception Error in Windows 10

Discussions around the Gospel Library application for Windows for Desktop and Mobile

Moderator: BowmanDH

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: System.Exception Error in Windows 10

Post by russellhltn »

tdbeezy wrote:I used the Gospel App with no problems about three weeks ago, so something has changed since then.
Has there been any change to the account you use to log into the machine? Perhaps changing from local to a Microsoft account?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

I had gospel library working but then windows did an update and now it is throwing the system exception when I try to bring it up. I also lost another app that just comes up and then just closes. I have tried to re-install the gospel library and that does not change anything.
jo.leach

Post by jo.leach »

I installed this because I think I need it to read the Revelations in Context? But I'm getting this error and see others have had this issue for months. Any help is appreciated. I have Win 10. If there's another way to use the Revelations in Context, I'd be glad to uninstall the Gospel Library. thanks!
ToManyLetters

Post by ToManyLetters »

For those of you having issues with a system.exception error on version 2 whose systems are running Windows 10 and have already checked that your device is completely up to date, it may be best for you to download, install, and use the beta, which you can learn more about at this link:

https://tech.lds.org/wiki/Gospel_Library_for_Windows_10

Our developers are focused on the beta at the moment, so it will be some time before the non-beta gets attention again.
Learn more about Gospel Library for Windows 10 Beta at the link below:
jo.leach

Post by jo.leach »

My windows updated to build 16299 which (sort of) removed my Gospel Library app. The app is no longer on my desktop. I have to go to the Windows App Store to download it and Launch it everytime I want to run it. I don't know why it doesn't show up on my list of programs after I launch it? Microsoft doesn't have an answer for it. Other apps work.
ToManyLetters

Post by ToManyLetters »

How your device interacts with installed apps is a operating system issue, not an app issue. At best, Microsoft should be able to help you figure out what's going on, as it is their operating system having the issue. If you're having to reinstall it every time you want to use it, you'll definitely need to get in contact (again) with Microsoft and let them know what's going on. There's a good chance something went wrong in the Windows update.
Learn more about Gospel Library for Windows 10 Beta at the link below:
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jo.leach wrote:My windows updated to build 16299 which (sort of) removed my Gospel Library app. The app is no longer on my desktop. I have to go to the Windows App Store to download it and Launch it everytime I want to run it. I don't know why it doesn't show up on my list of programs after I launch it? Microsoft doesn't have an answer for it. Other apps work.
This suggests a severely locked down computer - perhaps one at work or a former "work" computer. Or perhaps you're not the Local Administrator and GL is failing to create the icons because the "Public" desktop is restricted.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
bkinser

Re: System.Exception Error in Windows 8.1 in 2018

Post by bkinser »

I am also seeing the System.Exception on a Windows 8.1 tablet during the 'Books' update and Annotations loading. "Afterward, I notice that my annotations are OK, but the Books are not updated for 2018 lessons, magazines, or conference talks. Will this be fixed, or is Windows 8.1 no longer supported?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: System.Exception Error in Windows 8.1 in 2018

Post by russellhltn »

bkinser wrote:Books are not updated for 2018 lessons, magazines, or conference talks. Will this be fixed, or is Windows 8.1 no longer supported?
The version of GL that will run on Win8 is using an older content service that is no longer being updated. The current version of GL is Win10 only.

Return to “Gospel Library for Windows”