Windows 10 universal app

Discussions around the Gospel Library application for Windows for Desktop and Mobile

Moderator: BowmanDH

ToManyLetters

Re: Windows 10 universal app

Post by ToManyLetters »

The currently available application for Windows 8.1 is already the universal application. Test that. As for the phone component of the application, it's not ready and it will not be available until we have at least met a minimum bar we have set for ourselves.

It will be ready when it is ready to be ready, and not a moment sooner. Getting feedback for the phone component of the universal app now would literally be worthless.
Learn more about Gospel Library for Windows 10 Beta at the link below:
https://tech.lds.org/wiki/Gospel_Library_for_Windows_10
pahollow

Post by pahollow »

Thanks...I get from the tone of your post, that you are a bit frustrated with my posts now and I apologise for my persistence. You should have seen me as a FT missionary! As I previously posted, I am more concerned that the Windows team are not provided more resources by the Church and that parity on all of the main ecosystems or platforms (Windows, iOS and Android) is not equal.

From my perspective that is simply not fair (and maybe not even reasonable) to you, your team or the end users of these tools. It would seem that Apple and to a lesser extent Google have been most effective of swinging members hearts and minds to their ecosystems.

And I do get that the leaders have to be careful of their use of "sacred funds" but centralising feedback into one place on the desktop maybe a third link in the GL would be good and inviting or prompting people to say more might also be good. Once again, Microsoft's approach in Windows 10 seems to really be the "sweet spot" approach and outcomes.

The same can be said I am sure for LCR (set to replace MLS) now see https://tech.lds.org/blog/665-ministeri ... -resources and our membership does not seems blissfully unaware of what is happening ... or not. I mean we don't even know where to post if we are new to all this as I am. Also the decisions don't seem to reflect the "Hastening" that is sweeping the Church in so many areas. Hence the reason for hitting on you directly even though you say you don't have the power.

Once again (and as always) thank you for your patience and understanding and I look forward to seeing what's coming next!
spencerto
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by spencerto »

@pahollow Thanks for your persistence and your enthusiasm. We are a small team of volunteers who are working on the Windows Universal apps and love to be involved with this great work. We recognize that we are not yet at parity with the other platforms and it may be a while before we reach it. We can always use more help if there are experienced C#/XAML/HTML/JS developers who are willing to dedicate some of their time to our effort.

Currently we are being stretched a bit thin trying to get the Windows Phone side of the Universal app ready for a public beta release. As a result, some of the features we would like to add to the "tablet/desktop" side of the app have been delayed.

As for Windows 10, we are actively working to make the app function properly on 8.1 and 10. Currently, Windows 10 preview still has some bugs in it which may cause the application to misbehave and we are doing our part to make sure that we are coding correctly so it will work properly as W10 begins to stabilize. This includes W10 on both PC and Phone.

The LDS Tools for Windows team is also making good progress with their application. The LDS Tools for WP8.1 is available as a Beta in the store. LDS Tools is also a universal app and while the phone side is a little ahead of the tablet side, they are both moving pretty closely in lockstep with one another and should be available in the very near future.

Again, a plea to any experienced C#/XAML/HTML/JS experts who are willing to dedicate time to the moving forward of these applications...please join our projects at tech.lds.org and sign up for Windows Gospel Library and Windows LDS Tools.
pahollow

Post by pahollow »

Thank you for your kind words of encouragement. Over the weekend I installed Windows 10 on my Nokia Lumia 920 (now listed on the insider program for Windows 10. Windows 10 on the mobile phone is not very stable but WinGL 1.17.0.4 works as expected except there are no Mormon messages. The new version 2.0.1.31 beta seemed to load well and I noted some (NT and Doctrine and Covenants and Bible Dictionary) but not all in the scriptures hub load. The full hymns experienced worked briefly (because preview was enabled) but now just shows text like version 1x. Video works well in landscape or portrait. Teachings of Ezra Taft Benson and other content works as expected.

Overall an excellent start but I will keep version 1 there also. Thank you so much for doing this great work despite the lack of people in the team
egnlsn

Post by egnlsn »

Windows 10 will be released to the public July 29th. Has it been determined when the Windows 10 Universal App will be released?
CIAO!

Ed Nielsen
ToManyLetters

Post by ToManyLetters »

Windows 8.1's app is already universal app. The phone component is already released in conjunction with Windows 8.1's Gospel Library Beta and when the phone app is stabilized, the universal version of the app will replace the non-beta app as well.
egnlsn

Post by egnlsn »

Perhaps I had misunderstood. I thought there was going to be a Gospel Library app specifically for Windows 10. Was I mistaken?
CIAO!

Ed Nielsen
ToManyLetters

Post by ToManyLetters »

The apps on Windows 10 are the apps on Windows 8.1. It is likely that, at some point after its release, we will focus on Windows 10's version of the app, but they--the Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 Gospel Library apps--are one and the same. Indeed, if you are running Windows 10 Insider Preview, you can download the current app from Windows Store Beta.
egnlsn

Post by egnlsn »

I have been doing the Insider Preview and running the Windows 8.1 app on it since January. Works GREAT. Thank you so much for everything you put into the app's development. Considering the subject matter of this thread, I just thought there was going to be another app for Windows 10. :)
CIAO!

Ed Nielsen
pahollow

Post by pahollow »

The universal app for the phone looks great! It would be lovely to see the sheet music show up on the smaller Lumia screens as it does on the larger screens and also (as said before have all of the Hymns...well done for the work so far!

Return to “Gospel Library for Windows”