Windows 8.1 update?

Discussions around the Gospel Library application for Windows for Desktop and Mobile

Moderator: BowmanDH

jkentner

Re: Windows 8.1 update?

Post by jkentner »

Joe_coolish: Thanks for the update!
joshlarmore

Post by joshlarmore »

I saw at Build 2014 that Microsoft will be allowing the same code to work with both Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1. Will that be something that will help with a quick transition from the desktop app to a smartphone?
Aeroengineer1

Post by Aeroengineer1 »

Joe,

Thanks for the update. I look forward to seeing the efforts of your hard work. Perhaps one of these days I can get my coding skills up to the task to help in programs like this. Right now, I am just doing C for microcontrollers and only really at a high level hobbiest at that.
joe_coolish

Post by joe_coolish »

joshlarmore wrote:I saw at Build 2014 that Microsoft will be allowing the same code to work with both Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1. Will that be something that will help with a quick transition from the desktop app to a smartphone?
What you saw was the Universal App project template. This template includes 3 projects: A "Portable Library" project, a Windows Store App project, and a Windows Phone App project. The "Portable Library" is the key project that creates functionality that can be used in both the tablet and phone applications. This is that "90% code reuse" line when they talk about cross platform apps. The other 2 projects hold View and platform specific code.

The piece that I've been working on is all done in one of these portable libraries. We want the work that we're doing to flow across the desktop and phone. Essencially the new Universal App template doesn't bring much to the table that we aren't already doing.
joshlarmore

Post by joshlarmore »

I'm checking this thread every day now to see if there's any news. I don't know if I'm more excited about the Library update for my Surface RT or the eventual updates for my Windows Phone 8.1.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

joshlarmore wrote:I'm checking this thread every day now to see if there's any news. I don't know if I'm more excited about the Library update for my Surface RT or the eventual updates for my Windows Phone 8.1.
It's great that you're so excited that you check the thread every day, but note that you can click the "Subscribe topic" link down at the bottom of the page and then you'll get notified by email whenever anyone posts to this topic (thread).
jsg1981

Gospel Library Update for Windows 8.1

Post by jsg1981 »

I have a Surface Pro which runs Windows 8.1. I'd heard a few months ago that a completely new update of the Gospel Library was coming complete with new and improved functionality, including highlighting and bookmarks. The thinking was that it would be released around April 2014 General Conference. I've been checking regularly both right before conference and after and haven't seen or heard anything. Does anyone know the status of these upgrades? Also, will there be a release of LDS Tools for Windows 8.1?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Gospel Library Update for Windows 8.1

Post by aebrown »

jsg1981 wrote:Does anyone know the status of these upgrades?
I moved your post into the existing discussion; if you'll read the other posts in this topic, you'll discover the current status and how to keep up to dates on new information posted here.
bradbartz

Post by bradbartz »

It's great to hear about the work going on! Thanks in advance and I can't wait to check it out.
joe_coolish

Post by joe_coolish »

Quick update: I'm glad everyone is still excited. We did a dump from the new platform to the older platform, so the phone and the old app should receive the latest content.

As for the new App, it's still coming along great! I can't wait for you all to see it! If you want to become a beta tester, join the project and you will get a link to the current release. We meet every Saturday at 8:00 AM MST to talk about where we're at.

If you can contribute (help code) we'd love to have you! If you want to work with partial builds and give feedback, we'd love to have you as well!

Return to “Gospel Library for Windows”