Gospel Library for Windows Laptop

Discussions around the Gospel Library application for Windows for Desktop and Mobile

Moderator: BowmanDH

drdirt

Gospel Library for Windows Laptop

Post by drdirt »

I'm new to this forum but I simply cannot use the Kindle Fire without glasses anymore. I have a couple nice big (17.3") laptops that I would prefer to use Gospel Library on. Where might I find such a download for a windows based laptop?
Thank you in advance.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

This was discussed in the Gospel Library app for Desktop PC thread. In post #7 a user recommends using Bluestacks to run Android Apps on a desktop. In post #8 Gospel Library for Android was reported as running fine under Bluestacks.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
vmandrew

Re: Gospel Library for Windows Laptop

Post by vmandrew »

Hello Brethren and Sisters. One major flaw with the upgrade to Gospel Library is that it now requires Windows 8.1 to download. It will not download onto XP or Windows 7 machines, which many of our members still use. Is there a link to the earlier version that is available to download?
Would it be possible to email me that program in a return email to tech@tel2020.org ?? Thank you, Vanora Andrew.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

vmandrew wrote:Hello Brethren and Sisters. One major flaw with the upgrade to Gospel Library is that it now requires Windows 8.1 to download. It will not download onto XP or Windows 7 machines, which many of our members still use. Is there a link to the earlier version that is available to download?
There was no earlier version that supported those operating systems. The purpose was to support Windows Tablets and Phones. But because tablets run the same OS as the desktop, desktops running 8.1 can use it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
ToManyLetters

Post by ToManyLetters »

As russelhltn has said, there is no earlier version of the app for users of Windows 7 and lower to use. Even users of Windows 8 need to upgrade to the current version of Windows (Windows 8.1) to use the app. It simply requires features of Windows 8.1 that previous versions of Windows do not offer. That Windows desktop users have access to the app is, indeed, a happy side effect of the work being done for Windows tablet and phone users. There is no version of the app prior to Windows 8--and no version of the current app prior to 8.1. It simply doesn't exist.

In addition, Microsoft's mainstream support for Windows XP ended in April of 2009--even its 'extended' security-only updates ended April of last year. Remaining on XP is an enormous security risk--one might as well sleep on a mattress full of used hospital needles.

Windows Vista saw its end to mainstream support in April of 2012, and Windows 7 saw its end in January of this year. Further, Microsoft is offering Windows 10 for free to users of Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 when it releases this summer.

The recommendation I have for you is to help as many people as you can upgrade to Windows 10 when it comes. This will give them access to a modern, secure operating system and also get them access to the Windows Store--and, as such, apps like Gospel Library and LDS Tools on Windows.

Edit: Also, mods, would it not make sense for this entire thread to be moved into the Windows 8 Gospel Library subforum, instead of Windows Phone's?
Learn more about Gospel Library for Windows 10 Beta at the link below:
https://tech.lds.org/wiki/Gospel_Library_for_Windows_10
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

ToManyLetters wrote:Windows Vista saw its end to mainstream support in April of 2012, and Windows 7 saw its end in January of this year. Further, Microsoft is offering Windows 10 for free to users of Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 when it releases this summer.
The end of mainstream support is of little consequence for most consumers. It simply terminates feature development. The end of Extended Support, which terminates security patches, is of far greater concern.

End of Extended Support:
  • WinXP SP3 - April 8, 2014
  • Vista SP2 - April 11, 2017
  • Win7 SP1 - January 14, 2020
  • Win8.1 - January 10, 2023
I will agree that WinXP users need to upgrade. Other users need to be on the current service pack (free), but they have time.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
ToManyLetters

Post by ToManyLetters »

My point is that they are now getting security-only updates. These are no longer the crowned kings of Microsoft's support realm. It's not fair to expect new features on these operating systems that newer programs will need to use to operate. Yes, these older operating systems still have security updates--I never claimed they didn't. But users should be aware that mainstream support has ended. It's a good signal to them that it's time to start thinking about and saving for either a new system or an upgrade for the system they already own. And now, with Windows 10 being offered for free, there is no reason to not upgrade your OS this summer (if you're on 7 or 8.1). The benefits of running the most up-to-date version of your operating system are manifold.
Learn more about Gospel Library for Windows 10 Beta at the link below:
https://tech.lds.org/wiki/Gospel_Library_for_Windows_10
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

ToManyLetters wrote:And now, with Windows 10 being offered for free, there is no reason to not upgrade your OS this summer (if you're on 7 or 8.1).
I prefer to wait a bit to see how it's doing. Perhaps for the first service pack.

As an IT person, I've never seen an advantage to being on the latest. I can appreciate that to a programmer, the developing features can mean a lot, but I can't say it's ever meant a whole lot to end users. The primary motivators are security patches and minimum system requirements of new software. (Which brings us back to Gospel Library.) And far too many don't even worry about the security patches.

almarie_oco

Post by almarie_oco »

drdirt wrote:I'm new to this forum but I simply cannot use the Kindle Fire without glasses anymore. I have a couple nice big (17.3") laptops that I would prefer to use Gospel Library on. Where might I find such a download for a windows based laptop?
Thank you in advance.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

almarie_oco wrote:I'm new to this forum but I simply cannot use the Kindle Fire without glasses anymore. I have a couple nice big (17.3") laptops that I would prefer to use Gospel Library on. Where might I find such a download for a windows based laptop?
If your laptops are running Windows 8, 8.1 or 10, you can find it in the Windows store.

If you're running Windows 7 or older, the only way is to run the iOS or Android version in a emulator.

Return to “Gospel Library for Windows”