Wireless microphones

Discussions around meetinghouse sound systems, microphones, assisted listening devices, and translation equipment
harddrive
Member
Posts: 445
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:52 pm

Wireless microphones

Postby harddrive » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:20 am

A friend is looking to purchase a wireless microphone for one our Sunday school teachers to use. We hold Gospel doctrine in the chapel.

I was online last night and came across a wireless system by poly pro. The units that I'm looking at is the pdwm4400 and the 4300. I can get them together for about $250.

I know that it is over kill for the one user, but I'm thinking that we could use it for other meetings, plays and so forth. The question has anyone used this system?

It looks to food to pass up. Thanks for letting me know.

crislapi
Senior Member
Posts: 1265
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:05 pm
Location: USA

Postby crislapi » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:05 am

harddrive wrote:It looks to food to pass up.

Recently bought some wireless mics that were useless. Not the system you mention, but they were also "too good to pass up". If you are particular, it's usually best to get a system where the price is more in line with what you expect. "Steals" have a tendency of turning into "robbery". You might try googling the product to see what sort of reviews its received.

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 20743
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Postby russellhltn » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:16 pm

harddrive wrote:I was online last night and came across a wireless system by poly pro. The units that I'm looking at is the pdwm4400 and the 4300. I can get them together for about $250.


My first thoughts: "too cheap". And some of the reviews on Amazon seem to back up my impression.

You might want to read this thread. Take note of post #4.
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

harddrive
Member
Posts: 445
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:52 pm

Postby harddrive » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:55 am

RussellHltn wrote:My first thoughts: "too cheap". And some of the reviews on Amazon seem to back up my impression.

You might want to read this thread. Take note of post #4.


Russell, thanks for the information and I just checked the links provided for in the email and according to the web site, these are discontinued models.

Also I have checked with the FM Group and they are only authorized to purchase a wireless microphone for the stake center. This will come out of personal funds and be donated to the church.

harddrive
Member
Posts: 445
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:52 pm

Postby harddrive » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:34 am

harddrive wrote:Russell, thanks for the information and I just checked the links provided for in the email and according to the web site, these are discontinued models.

Also I have checked with the FM Group and they are only authorized to purchase a wireless microphone for the stake center. This will come out of personal funds and be donated to the church.


I decided to try one of the systems. I will see how it works and let you guys know if it is a good system or not.

If it is, I may suggest to other units in the stake that they may want to "invest" in it so help them out.

JamesAnderson
Senior Member
Posts: 748
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:03 pm

Postby JamesAnderson » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:15 am

Any chance the discontinued models you have are from pre-2010 models, probably even the last couple years before? The reason I ask is because of old frequency issues, they ordered all the old mics off the United States TV channels 51-69 spectrum as that is now being used primarily by 4G wireless devices such as smartphones. and emergency response broadband communication by wireless.

It is possible, therefore, that if those mics mentioned in this thread, and probably the other, that are older (not the current ones listed), may have to be replaced due to the frequencies issue. You can check the manufacturer's website or maybe even with http://www.fcc.gov/ for more information on the issue of the old frequencies.


Return to “Meetinghouse Audio”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest