First Presidency Broadcast quiet in chapel

Discussions around meetinghouse sound systems, microphones, assisted listening devices, and translation equipment
mmathson

First Presidency Broadcast quiet in chapel

Postby mmathson » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:51 am

Hope this is the right forum to post this in:

Last night the First Presidency Broadcast was very quiet in the chapel. We cranked up the volume as much as possible and checked the communications/electronics room and everything looked OK and normal.

Any ideas? Was it something we did, or maybe a broadcasting issue?

kd7mha

Postby kd7mha » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:46 am

mem wrote:Hope this is the right forum to post this in:

Last night the First Presidency Broadcast was very quiet in the chapel. We cranked up the volume as much as possible and checked the communications/electronics room and everything looked OK and normal.

Ours seemed to be a bit lower than usual, had to turn it up all the way to get decent volume.
There are 11 types of people. Those who understand Gray Code and those that don't.

danpass

Postby danpass » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:00 pm

mem wrote:Hope this is the right forum to post this in:

I had adjusted the volume in our chapel based on the sound level of the pre-broadcast countdown programming with the Tabernacle Choir. When the devotional began, the audio level dropped relative to what it had been during the countdown. I had to turn up the volume in the chapel in order to comfortably hear the broadcast. But I didn't have to turn it up all the way.

So while the sound level of the broadcast was unusually low, the fact that you weren't able to compensate for it may be an indication that you should have your FM group check your equipment settings.

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Postby russellhltn » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:49 pm

Yes, the volume did seem quieter then normal. Also during the pre-program there was a number of times with long lapses of silence. Usually preceded by the word "English". It made me think the "override" wasn't letting go quickly enough.

Also we noticed that there didn't seem to be any Closed Captioning. Since we "tape delayed" there wasn't much we could do about it. The only thing that changed was swapping out the Satellite receiver. Hmmmm.
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

techgy
Community Moderators

Postby techgy » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:52 pm

RussellHltn wrote:Yes, the volume did seem quieter then normal. Also during the pre-program there was a number of times with long lapses of silence. Usually preceded by the word "English". It made me think the "override" wasn't letting go quickly enough.

Also we noticed that there didn't seem to be any Closed Captioning. Since we "tape delayed" there wasn't much we could do about it. The only thing that changed was swapping out the Satellite receiver. Hmmmm.

It would be good to post the sound issue on the Broadcast Report that goes to the FM group and Stake Presidency. We use the time prior to the broadcast just like everyone else does - to check the system. If the sound is adequate prior to the broadcast, then drops, it not only makes for a poor recording but the person in charge of the broadcast has to "fiddle" with the sound volume at the beginning of the broadcast, which detracts from the spirit of the meeting.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Postby russellhltn » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:57 pm

techgy wrote:It would be good to post the sound issue on the Broadcast Report that goes to the FM group and Stake Presidency.

I haven't seen one of those in about a decade. Do they still use them?

Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

techgy
Community Moderators

Postby techgy » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:58 pm

RussellHltn wrote:I haven't seen one of those in about a decade. Do they still use them?

Yes. I'm told that our stake president has to submit a report periodically and requires the report. If this has changed no-one's told me - we just keep sending them to the FM group and the stake. :rolleyes:
Have you read the Code of Conduct?

crislapi

Postby crislapi » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:42 pm

I watched the rebroadcast last night online and it was pretty darn crappy in my opinion. It appears they had all sorts of technical issues recording it. The sound level kept changing, the video kept skipping, and the screen turned completely green at one point.

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Postby russellhltn » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:59 pm

crislapi wrote:I watched the rebroadcast last night online and it was pretty darn crappy in my opinion. It appears they had all sorts of technical issues recording it. The sound level kept changing, the video kept skipping, and the screen turned completely green at one point.

I recorded the 8PM rebroadcast, but didn't show it. I did notice that the sound was off until the title appeared. I didn't experience any of the problems described with the playback of the 6PM broadcast.

crislapi

Postby crislapi » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:48 pm

RussellHltn wrote:I recorded the 8PM rebroadcast, but didn't show it. I did notice that the sound was off until the title appeared. I didn't experience any of the problems described with the playback of the 6PM broadcast.

I guess watching it online cannot technically be termed a rebroadcast. I just followed the link off the new.lds.org homepage, which is referred to there as archived video.

Return to “Meetinghouse Audio”