Interesting power issue with new audio/video system

Discussions around meetinghouse sound systems, microphones, assisted listening devices, and translation equipment
rl_albright

Interesting power issue with new audio/video system

Post by rl_albright »

My stake center just had a new audio/video distribution system installed. Works quite well so far. However I noticed a quirk, and I am not sure if this is by design, or an error was made in programming. (If you have one of the new systems with the Extron selectors, please chime in.) When the chapel pulpit controls are off, the bottom programmable power strip, turns off Outlets 2, 3, & 4. Not sure what the others do, but when 2 turns off, the whole HDMI distribution system for the building goes down (Throughout the building all of the LEDs on the Extron HDMI faceplates go dark). When the chapel is turned on (at the pulpit controls), On the bottom programmable power strip, outlets 2, 3, & 4 turns on. When 2, turns on, the HDMI distribution comes back to life, and the Extron HDMI faceplates come back on.

Is this normal? To me this doesn't seem correct.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Interesting power issue with new audio/video system

Post by russellhltn »

At first glance, that seems like a good idea. Most of the time, any video is either going to originate from the chapel, or the chapel will be part of it. Either way, the chapel sound system will be on.

However, that would be an issue for viewing BYU football. (I'm not sure if it's still broadcast on the church satellite system or not.) That can't be viewed in the chapel. Likewise, any other broadcast with a smaller audience where the chapel would be too large.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rl_albright

Post by rl_albright »

russellhltn wrote:At first glance, that seems like a good idea. Most of the time, any video is either going to originate from the chapel, or the chapel will be part of it. Either way, the chapel sound system will be on.

That is all well and good, however, it does present a problem. (I am having trouble articulating the problem). In our building, the general modus operandi is that the chapel sound system is only on when someone is at or going to be speaking in the chapel (Sacrament meeting). We generally will run an overflow into the relief society room for certain meetings as needed, and the sound system is not turned on until they are ready to speak. So in the overflow, they will have nothing on screen until they turn on the system, the HDMI matrix powers up (about a minute), and by that point they have lost a bit of the opening of the meeting. I have seen this setup in another building, and their HDMI matrix is on 24/7 and not tied to the chapel audio system.
russellhltn wrote:However, that would be an issue for viewing BYU football. (I'm not sure if it's still broadcast on the church satellite system or not.) That can't be viewed in the chapel. Likewise, any other broadcast with a smaller audience where the chapel would be too large.
There is that problem. Meetings that are not large enough to warrant the use of the chapel cannot use the satellite system for training due to the HDMI matrix being powered down.

Is this the normal behavior? Or should I report this as a problem?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

rl_albright wrote:Is this normal? To me this doesn't seem correct.
Our video is independent of the sound system (but all in the same tall AV rack). Turning off the chapel sound does not affect the video distribution system, not does the chapel sound need to be on to set up and test the video points around the meetinghouse, and the webcast system.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

rl_albright wrote:Is this the normal behavior? Or should I report this as a problem?
I don't know about "normal", my stake is still on SD video. But it's creating a problem for you. I'd report it that way.

But, I'd also suggest that you power on the podium during setup. You don't want to wait until the start of the meeting to find out you've got an audio problem.

Along the same lines, I'd had problems with the "regional stake conferences" that are broadcast over the satellite. They have opening exercises and then switch over to the satellite at about 0:15 after. The problem I've had is that when the presidency leaves the stand, they turn off the power out of habit. There goes the audio for the chapel.

So, my suggestion is that for reasons that have nothing to do with video distribution, you need to tape over the power switch for certain meetings.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rl_albright

Post by rl_albright »

russellhltn wrote:The problem I've had is that when the presidency leaves the stand, they turn off the power out of habit. There goes the audio for the chapel.
Except in this setup they do that, and we lose the video and audio feed for about 90 seconds. (The longest 90 seconds ever!!)
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

rl_albright wrote:(The longest 90 seconds ever!!)
I prepared a little card that I keep with the other webcasting equipment. I place it over the power button as needed and it says, Webcasting -- do not turn off the sound system.

So far, that has solved the problem for me.
jamiep39

Post by jamiep39 »

rl_albright wrote:On the bottom programmable power strip, outlets 2, 3, & 4 turns on. When 2, turns on, the HDMI distribution comes back to life, and the Extron HDMI faceplates come back on.
I'd report it to FM. All they'd have to do is move the power for the HDMI distribution system to an always on plug. No programming change necessary.
rl_albright

Post by rl_albright »

jamiep39 wrote:
rl_albright wrote:On the bottom programmable power strip, outlets 2, 3, & 4 turns on. When 2, turns on, the HDMI distribution comes back to life, and the Extron HDMI faceplates come back on.
I'd report it to FM. All they'd have to do is move the power for the HDMI distribution system to an always on plug. No programming change necessary.
Yes that is what I was thinking, however per my Facilities Manager, it is suppose to work this way due to "heat problems in the rack".... WHAT??? The HDMI matrix equipment does not generate enough heat to do that. Now the Crown amps on the other hand... yep!
jamiep39

Post by jamiep39 »

rl_albright wrote:
jamiep39 wrote:
Yes that is what I was thinking, however per my Facilities Manager, it is suppose to work this way due to "heat problems in the rack".... WHAT??? The HDMI matrix equipment does not generate enough heat to do that. Now the Crown amps on the other hand... yep!
I work for a school district and we have dozens of those same types of setups that are all on 24/7 with no problems. If they don't want it to be on always they could adjust the programming so that if any room in the building selected an HDMI source then the power conditioner could turn on. (Assuming the system is the BLU series with the 4/8 button control pads like most new installations I've seen have. They probably could adjust the programming in whatever the system is to do that.)

Return to “Meetinghouse Audio”