Chapel Control Pedestal Volume Control, other questions

Discussions around meetinghouse sound systems, microphones, assisted listening devices, and translation equipment
dwilton1

Chapel Control Pedestal Volume Control, other questions

Post by dwilton1 »

Hi,

First:
There is a Primary Program happening in a ward at the stake center. I was asked to help check the audio and mic inputs (for those soft voices and singing). The problem: the Volume control in chapel does not work, Soft-Loud, does not seem to make a difference and volume is default set. Is there a quick fix for this? From my understanding, this stake center will be getting a remodel in a year or so. Will this be checked or relayed to the contractors, etc. or so for fixing.

Second:
The stake was just split, and the building crab box is missing, along with the good mics and cables and mixer. Is it wise to conduct an audio inventory on the buildings involved with the stake split, and who would be the contact for such inventory, and what would be the standard equipment supplied for the stake center and such, such as, 2 mics, 2- 50' xlr, crab box, etc for the inventory check. Is the ward to buy this equipment if it is missing. The fairly large material center almost seems empty- after the split.

Third:
The stake technology representative does not have an email or phone listed in directory, just his address, is this his option to not be contacted; because there are 4 buildings in this stake, and I'm pretty sure there are questions that some people need help with. My first suggestion to the individual of the primary program was to contact that stake tech individual. But it seems no contact.

Fourth:
Sorry for the fourth: there are 4 mic xlr inputs for the chapel . 2 in the choir area 1 by piano and 1 by organ and 2 on the wall left and right of the podium mic. Is it natural for the 2 choir mic inputs to be louder than the mic left or right of the podium?

Thank you.
johnshaw

Re: Chapel Control Pedestal Volume Control, other questions

Post by johnshaw »

call the stake clerk to get the STS information.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

dwilton1 wrote:the Volume control in chapel does not work, Soft-Loud, does not seem to make a difference and volume is default set.
Normally the control is only to accommodate a range of voices. It doesn't have the full range normal sound equipment would have. It's done this way to make it "goof-proof". Usually, the "full" volume is set just to the point of the system ringing at certain times - meaning it's not possible to get more volume regardless of any setting. There's only so much that can be done with shy children.

dwilton1 wrote:Is it wise to conduct an audio inventory on the buildings involved with the stake split, and who would be the contact for such inventory, and what would be the standard equipment supplied for the stake center and such, such as, 2 mics, 2- 50' xlr, crab box, etc for the inventory check. Is the ward to buy this equipment if it is missing. The fairly large material center almost seems empty- after the split.
An inventory seems like a good idea to me. I'd mention that to a stake clerk, stake executive secretary or councilor that you may have contact with. FM is responsible for supplying the equipment.

dwilton1 wrote:The stake technology representative does not have an email or phone listed in directory, just his address, is this his option to not be contacted; because there are 4 buildings in this stake, and I'm pretty sure there are questions that some people need help with.
Again, I'd bring this up with the stake. In the meantime, a clerk or member of the bishopric or stake presidency should be able to supply this information - if from no where else, the CDOL.

dwilton1 wrote:Sorry for the fourth: there are 4 mic xlr inputs for the chapel . 2 in the choir area 1 by piano and 1 by organ and 2 on the wall left and right of the podium mic. Is it natural for the 2 choir mic inputs to be louder than the mic left or right of the podium?
That's unusual. Counting the podium and sacrament mic, that's a total of 8 inputs. I believe the standard is only for inputs: Podium, sacrament and two auxiliary. In the case of my stake center, those two inputs are wired to both the choir loft and each side of the podium. Meaning if you plug in microphones in both places, the mics will get weaker. That might be the cause of the observed volume difference. Then again, the difference could be the mics themselves - especially if they're different models.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

dwilton1 wrote:From my understanding, this stake center will be getting a remodel in a year or so. Will this be checked or relayed to the contractors, etc. or so for fixing.
When our buildings were remodeled, full sound system upgrades were performed and the system balanced to optimum levels. I'm pretty sure this is standard procedure.

With that said, if you're currently having an issue, I wouldn't hesitate to contact your Physical Facilities Representative (PFR) on the High Council and have him arrange with the FM Group to have it serviced. They're pretty good at putting things back in working order.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
dwilton1

Post by dwilton1 »

Hi,

Thank you for your responses! I do not see a PFR in the directory.

I'll try to send an e-mail to the clerk. I do believe there is something wrong with the control, it could be either set at the minimum, the knob broken, or the volume control limits could very well be set to be overbearing. You would think the default set volume when pressed ON and the AMPLIFIER clip and overload protection- would be enough to make it "goof proof".

I think the ward will be using audio equipment, possibly from the stake president. The primary podium mic is missing, which I don't think was mentioned, it probably also needs a floor cord cover to make the xlr cord trip proof since the xlr inputs are on the wall in the primary room. so it be a long listed inventory email to find the missing items in the stake center. I think inventory would help, I do not remember seeing any bibles sets in the material center either, but I only had a quick glance. I might just send this forum link topic to them.
Last edited by dwilton1 on Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Knob? That knob might be the sound level for satellite broadcasts. The usual volume control is a up/down arrow (easily confused with the podium controls) and may have a matching indicator.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

dwilton1

Post by dwilton1 »

I am not using the knob on the satellite:
BLU-CSweb.JPG
BLU-CSweb.JPG (25.81 KiB) Viewed 3785 times

It looks similar to this, but has a knob for the volume:
BLU-CPweb.JPG
BLU-CPweb.JPG (44.92 KiB) Viewed 3783 times
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

dwilton1 wrote:It looks similar to this, but has a knob for the volume:
BLU-CPweb.JPG
I don't remember a style like that with a knob. But different areas are handled by different vendors, so there could be some variation.

mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

russellhltn wrote:
dwilton1 wrote:It looks similar to this, but has a knob for the volume:
BLU-CPweb.JPG
I don't remember a style like that with a knob. But different areas are handled by different vendors, so there could be some variation.
There was one. We had it until our recent audio update.

Return to “Meetinghouse Audio”