Translation Equipment outside of the US/Canada

Discussions around meetinghouse sound systems, microphones, assisted listening devices, and translation equipment
merrelld

Translation Equipment outside of the US/Canada

Post by merrelld »

We live in Guadalajara, Mexico where there are no wards in English. Translation equipment here also does not exist. We've asked the bishop who spoke with the stake president to request translation equipment. We've even spoken with the FMC person in charge of the Area and the Meeting House Facilities group at the Church Office Building. They all state that there is no translation equipment available for wards outside of the US and Canada.

Does anyone know how to request translation equipment outside of the US/Canada?

If not, are there apps that we can use or any other ideas to help my family receive translation of sacrament meeting?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Translation Equipment outside of the US/Canada

Post by russellhltn »

The translation equipment that is used in the US uses radio waves to connect the listeners to the translator. But the frequency spectrum is licensed by each government. So that may explain why US equipment isn't available outside of the US as that use may not be licensed by the local government. You might check with williams Sound for what countries their equipment licensed for. I notice they have IR equipment which side-steps the RF licensing issues.

I know I've attended a ward in Japan. IIRC, they used a wired translation system. (The headphones plugged into a box one the floor.) I remember having to sit in a specific area where the system was.

Who is the Area Office for Mexico? Is that still CHQ? If not, then I'd check with them.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
StevePoulsen
Church Employee
Church Employee

Re: Translation Equipment outside of the US/Canada

Post by StevePoulsen »

merrelld wrote:We live in Guadalajara, Mexico where there are no wards in English. Translation equipment here also does not exist. We've asked the bishop who spoke with the stake president to request translation equipment. We've even spoken with the FMC person in charge of the Area and the Meeting House Facilities group at the Church Office Building. They all state that there is no translation equipment available for wards outside of the US and Canada.

Does anyone know how to request translation equipment outside of the US/Canada?

If not, are there apps that we can use or any other ideas to help my family receive translation of sacrament meeting?
Outside of the US and Canada, the area office makes the decisions about what equipment is available for use in meetinghouses. In some cases the area office may consult with CHQ, or the same standards as those used in the US/Canada. In most cases it is their decision.

Return to “Meetinghouse Audio”