Secondary Assisted Listening System for Sunday School

Discussions around meetinghouse sound systems, microphones, assisted listening devices, and translation equipment
azpcox

Secondary Assisted Listening System for Sunday School

Post by azpcox »

What are options for a secondary ALS device for use in the Cultural Hall for overlapping wards? While Sunday School in the cultural hall is be fine (so long as the power button on the Chapel Sound is off and the Cultural Hall is on), when the overlapping Ward turns on the chapel sound for their Sacrament Services, there goes our sound for the ALS.

We do have a secondary portable ALS setup that I believe was procured for translations into Spanish, but setting that up and down weekly is not really what that unit/system was designed for. It was more for a stake conference, infrequent meetings, etc.

Is it possible to set up a secondary ALS transmitter that takes the cultural hall audio output as its source? Yes, it is possible that both would be transmitting the same audio at times, but in normal Sunday operation, it would be a huge benefit to the members to simply switch to the cultural hall frequency for Sunday School and Priesthood classes.

Yes, it requires the use of a microphone in the cultural hall, but that is done for the classes already.

Thoughts? Or should I just assign a young man to set it up and take it down weekly? :). Which means I end up setting it up and down when they forget.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Secondary Assisted Listening System for Sunday School

Post by russellhltn »

azpcox wrote:What are options for a secondary ALS device for use in the Cultural Hall for overlapping wards?
Have the bishop bring up the request to the stake president to talk to the FM group. I've not heard of the system being installed for anything other than the chapel, but that doesn't mean it can't be done. The work would have to be done by the FM group.

azpcox wrote:Or should I just assign a young man to set it up and take it down weekly? :). Which means I end up setting it up and down when they forget.
Let's just say that is under your immediate control, which is more than can be said for the FM group option.

azpcox wrote:when the overlapping Ward turns on the chapel sound for their Sacrament Services, there goes our sound for the ALS.
Is it just the ALS, or does it affect the sound in the cultural hall? The chapel having priority for the transmitter is understandable, but if turning on the chapel system disrupts what's coming out of the cultural hall speakers, there's a problem that FM needs to fix.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mevans

Post by mevans »

Years ago I know there was an optional system (I think portable) that could be used with the ALS system. The receivers had and "A" and a "B" channel. You could get something portable that someone like a Gospel Doctrine teacher could use that would broadcast on the other channel.

I haven't really paid attention to the ALS systems in our buildings lately. It's possible the newest systems aren't dual channel anymore. We never had the portable broadcast unit for the other channel, but I was aware it existed.

We've also had varied translation systems (separate from ALS) that are either 2 or 4 channel.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I've seen Williams Sound (like this one) used for portable language assistance. They operate in the same frequency band as the built-in COMTEK system, but I'm not sure how interchangeable the receivers are.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rknelson

Post by rknelson »

The newer ALS receivers will pickup the ALS frequency or (after pressing the button on the top once) the interpreter frequency. We have a few of the newer (blue) ones that I have personally found work this way. Each push of the small button on top alternates between ALS and interpretation. I was a little surprised at this functionality since the systems are from different vendors, but it is just a radio receiver being tuned to a different frequency.

The ALS system in the newer church sound systems broadcast chapel audio as a priority, then cultural hall when the cultural hall sound is on and the chapel is off.
StevePoulsen
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by StevePoulsen »

Lots of Questions here, So I'll do my best to answer them all.

Currently buildings in the US/Canada are equipped with a single ALS transmitter, and at least 2 receivers. Due to the cost of the receivers, they are typically stored in the materials center and checked in/out, so that they can be used by all of the units that meet in the building. because of the relatively low cost, and the personal nature of the earpieces, they can be given to each respective member to have their own for use with the receivers. Within these guidelines, additional receivers, and earpieces can be ordered FM to meet the needs of the Ward or Stake.

Not all receivers are equal. the oldest of the receivers are channel specific, and will only tune 1 frequency. the newest receivers, have a button on top which will automatically scan through all of the channels in the 72 to 76MHz range. these channel frequency assignments are the same across most vendors of small area RF transmission equipment commonly used for ALS, and interpretation, though the channel names may not be the same in their literature.

The integrate ALS system is setup so that it will broadcast the sound from the chapel. if however the chapel system is off, while the cultural hall system is on, then the sound from the cultural hall is transmitted on the ALS system.

As to Translation equipment, wards and branches which have a need can again have the FM purchase this equipment for them. There are two common variants available that the FM/ Ward/Branch may choose between. The first is a small personal transmitter that is worn on the belt. This transmitter is ideal for classroom settings, but has a shorter range, and its usefulness is limited by it's battery life. The second option is a base station transmitter, which is not as portable, has professional headsets, a longer range, and costs more. While I don't know what the future holds, these 2 systems were chosen because they can move with the ward/branch that needs them, and can be used in any room int he building. where as a permanently installed system could not would require a permanent system in every room where it might possibly be used.

As mentioned earlier, both the ALS, and translation systems use the same channel assignments, consequently the receiver can be used with either system.

Also a note on FM purchases of equipment. FM's have budgets, those budgets are set the year prior, consequently, it is not uncommon for an FM to have to wait a year to be able to procure large ticket items or repairs due to funding issues. Event hen the FM may have unexpected cost elsewhere that eat up otherwise allocated budgets. be patient. they are trying.
mevans

Post by mevans »

The last update on this thread is over 3 years ago. I'm in a situation where we need to get some hearing assistance receivers for our building and am also interested in being able to have transmitters for Sunday School, Priesthood, and Relief Society meetings. Is the equipment as described by StevePoulsen still the current things the FM group can purchase? (i.e, the receiver with the button you push to change channels.) Is there also a portable transmitter option?

I found out that there are some people who come to church and sit for 3 hours because that's where they want to be on Sunday, but all they're doing is sitting because they can't hear much of anything for the 3 hours they're there.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mevans wrote:Is the equipment as described by StevePoulsen still the current things the FM group can purchase? (i.e, the receiver with the button you push to change channels.)
I think so. That's what's shown in the Help Center

mevans wrote:Is there also a portable transmitter option?
That can be ordered though the church? Not that I'm aware of. There is a "translation" system that uses portable transmitters, and work in the same band, but I'm no sure how compatible they are with the ALS system.

Keep in mind that unless the teachers are using a microphone, it's going to be pretty much useless.

mevans

Post by mevans »

russellhltn wrote:
mevans wrote:Is there also a portable transmitter option?
That can be ordered though the church? Not that I'm aware of. There is a "translation" system that uses portable transmitters, and work in the same band, but I'm no sure how compatible they are with the ALS system.

Keep in mind that unless the teachers are using a microphone, it's going to be pretty much useless.
Yes, I know the instructor needs to use the microphone. In Relief Society they use the sound system pretty much all the time. I think that helps the sisters in our ward with difficulties. Of course, there's a problem with class participation, as those with hearing challenges have difficulty with that, too. But, it's an improvement. Hmm...that gives me an idea for priesthood meeting in our ward. We meet in section of the cultural hall with a mic jack. I should get it out and see if that helps one of our brothers with difficulty.

We do have a translation system in our stake. I could also try it out. I don't think anyone uses it anyone. For a while, one of the wards had someone translating the meeting into Spanish, but I don't think that's happening anymore. I could see if the COMTEK receiver makes it to that one of the translation channels, or if people would need to switch receivers.

Return to “Meetinghouse Audio”