Remote volume control?

Discussions around meetinghouse sound systems, microphones, assisted listening devices, and translation equipment
craiggsmith

Remote volume control?

Post by craiggsmith »

Has anyone figured out a remote volume control for the main audio system? For the digital systems I would think there were two options -- another control similar to the one on the rostrum, or direct software access to the digital processor -- if they could set up an account that only had access to control the main volume.

For satellite broadcasts I could adjust the pots on the audio distribution amplifier, but they're super sensitive. I could wire in something I guess or run it through a small mixer like with webcasts. But I don't think the main chapel volume goes through that path.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: Remote volume control?

Post by jdlessley »

craiggsmith wrote:Has anyone figured out a remote volume control for the main audio system?
The meetinghouse audio system is the responsibility of FM. Modifications to the system should not be made without working with or through them.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

jdlessley wrote:The meetinghouse audio system is the responsibility of FM. Modifications to the system should not be made without working with or through them.
Yes, definitely don't do anything inside the system without contacting the FM group.

How about this?: If you really want a "remote control" for the volume, rig some solenoids or some small motor to press the volume buttons remotely (the same as a finger would do) and mount it on the volume control on the stand.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

mfmohlma wrote:
jdlessley wrote:The meetinghouse audio system is the responsibility of FM. Modifications to the system should not be made without working with or through them.
Yes, definitely don't do anything inside the system without contacting the FM group.
Certainly. I'm just wondering what options there might be.
mfmohlma wrote:How about this?: If you really want a "remote control" for the volume, rig some solenoids or some small motor to press the volume buttons remotely (the same as a finger would do) and mount it on the volume control on the stand.
Not elegant but I guess it would work, thanks.
StevePoulsen
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by StevePoulsen »

craiggsmith wrote:Has anyone figured out a remote volume control for the main audio system? For the digital systems I would think there were two options -- another control similar to the one on the rostrum, or direct software access to the digital processor -- if they could set up an account that only had access to control the main volume.

For satellite broadcasts I could adjust the pots on the audio distribution amplifier, but they're super sensitive. I could wire in something I guess or run it through a small mixer like with webcasts. But I don't think the main chapel volume goes through that path.
The newest systems include a volume control in the equipment rack that can be used to adjust the program audio fed to the chapel, and any rooms receiving a "overflow" feed from the chapel. besides this, the production team is constantly trying to improve the consistency of audio levels being broadcasts. One or both of these will eventually fix your problem.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

StevePoulsen wrote:The newest systems include a volume control in the equipment rack that can be used to adjust the program audio fed to the chapel, and any rooms receiving a "overflow" feed from the chapel. besides this, the production team is constantly trying to improve the consistency of audio levels being broadcasts. One or both of these will eventually fix your problem.
Sounds great (pun?), thanks!

Return to “Meetinghouse Audio”