condenser microphone on the stage

Discussions around meetinghouse sound systems, microphones, assisted listening devices, and translation equipment
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: condenser microphone on the stage

Post by russellhltn »

quintonrhq wrote:A solution is to use a mixer that can be properly setup for each microphone type and then drive the building system via a 'crab'.
Or use a mixer that has a XLR microphone-level output and skip the crab.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I know this is a bit of a old thread, but I'll add - if you are micing a stage, the actors will still have to project. The actors will have to reach the first few rows of the audience on raw lung power. The mics will take that a carry it to the back of the hall. They won't do magic.
michaelfish wrote:I suggest using a head-worn microphone for maximum sound (gain) in these situations.
This is the only thing that will give you the performance most members think of when they learn they'll have microphones - the ability to conversational voices and have the entire room hear it. But it's not in the FM catalog. You're on your own for obtaining them.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
ronwickman

Post by ronwickman »

For Stake Conference I prefer to use two spaced apart pencil condenser mics to brdcast the choir to other wards and to help carry the choir sound to the rearmost listeners in the building. I use battery operated Tascams which are not dependent on the apron phantom power which is only 15v and not suitable for standard 48v mics. Can those apron sockets be remotely switched from 15v to 48v to accomodate condenser cardioid mics we might purchase for this sole purpose? Dynamic mikes lack sensitivity at distance of over a few feet, while my old Tascams serve quite well, and do not upset the system gain structure.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

ronwickman wrote:Can those apron sockets be remotely switched from 15v to 48v
I highly doubt it. The switch is either in the locked cabinet, or part of the programming. Either way, I don't think there an provision for remote control or update.

Return to “Meetinghouse Audio”