Problem with audio coming into chapel

Discussions around meetinghouse sound systems, microphones, assisted listening devices, and translation equipment
rl_albright

Problem with audio coming into chapel

Post by rl_albright »

Okay the subject doesn't quite state the problem. 2 nights a week, at about 9pm, we host a local pickup basketball in our stake center, it is open for all who wish to attend. The problem was pointed out to me a few weeks ago, when they plug their CD player into the crab box in the gym and play music it is also being played in the chapel. The Won Doors are closed during these activities. I have since then noticed this happening anytime the sound system is switched "off" in the chapel and there is some sort of audio being injected into the cultural hall. If I turn the sound system "on" in the chapel then the audio from the cultural hall is muted in the chapel as it should be, but continues to work in the cultural hall.

What could possibly be causing this? BTW we have the older Ivie 884+ Matrix Audio switcher in this building, I do have the programming software if necessary to make adjustments to the Ivie box (funny note, the Ivie control software was last officially tested with Windows 98!!)

Any help that could be provided would be great.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Problem with audio coming into chapel

Post by russellhltn »

I would report it to the FM Group to have the sound contractor fix it the next time they are in the area.

I'm guessing it's a programming error (or perhaps limitation) in the switcher. Perhaps it was intended to support overflow area(s) and assistive listening devices. Because the sound is muted when the chapel system is turned on, it doesn't sound like a big problem.

I'm sure the FM Group would not be happy with members changing the programming on their own.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
TinMan

Post by TinMan »

Be careful. Ours does exactly the same thing. I was told it was supposed to work that way.
rl_albright

Post by rl_albright »

TinMan wrote:Be careful. Ours does exactly the same thing. I was told it was supposed to work that way.
Okay as long as it is suppose to work that way and our building isn't the only one this is happening at. I will let it be for now, unless I get too many complaints about it, then I will seek the advise of my FM group to see what they think.

Just because I have access to the software does not mean I would just start reprogramming the audio mixer without proper authorization and guidance. As it is a rather old system, I would rather not screw it up. If necessary I will contact the audio contractors for the church through the Helpdesk and talk to them to see if there is a program fix that can be put into place to keep cultural hall audio from bleeding into the chapel while the won doors are closed.

Thank you

Thank you
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

You might want to study the wiring of the system. Unless the assistive listening transmitter and the foyer speakers have their own feed from the switch box, this might just be a side-effect of the desired action of feeding those devices from the cultural hall when there's nothing going on in the chapel.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rl_albright

Post by rl_albright »

russellhltn wrote:You might want to study the wiring of the system. Unless the assistive listening transmitter and the foyer speakers have their own feed from the switch box, this might just be a side-effect of the desired action of feeding those devices from the cultural hall when there's nothing going on in the chapel.

Hmmmm.... That makes some sense, I do have the originally schematics from Ivie for LDS Churchs in regard to this system (downloaded it from their website), I will review what they have written down and let you all know what I find out. (It will take me a few days, as work is REALLY busy the next 2-3 days)
TinMan

Post by TinMan »

russellhltn wrote:this might just be a side-effect of the desired action of feeding those devices from the cultural hall when there's nothing going on in the chapel.
That's it!! I couldn't for the life of me remember why they told me it was supposed to work that way and have been trying to remember. It is made to work this way so the sound from the cultural hall could be sent to the rooms that receive the sound from the Chapel during normal operations. Like the Relief Society Room and the Mothers room, etc.

Boy, getting old is a pain sometimes....
StevePoulsen
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by StevePoulsen »

It is never normal for audio to flow form the cultural hall to the chapel. even if the doors were open between them, the cultural hall audio should be contained within the cultural hall.
If the system was set up correctly, it should still be able to flow to foyer and perimeter rooms, as long as the chapel is not on.

There is indeed a problem with your system, though that problem may have persisted for a long time with no one noticing it.
rl_albright wrote:when they plug their CD player into the crab box in the gym and play music it is also being played in the chapel. The Won Doors are closed during these activities. I have since then noticed this happening anytime the sound system is switched "off" in the chapel and there is some sort of audio being injected into the cultural hall. If I turn the sound system "on" in the chapel then the audio from the cultural hall is muted in the chapel as it should be, but continues to work in the cultural hall.

What could possibly be causing this?
I would venture, that the 884 mixer was not properly set up when originally installed.
rl_albright wrote:BTW we have the older Ivie 884+ Matrix Audio switcher in this building, I do have the programming software if necessary to make adjustments to the Ivie box (funny note, the Ivie control software was last officially tested with Windows 98!!)
First, please don't attempt it. Second, even if you did, the mixers are password protected to prevent this form happening, and the password is not "password" :D

Return to “Meetinghouse Audio”