How Did You Like the Tech Talks?

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

I'm not aware of any plans for Tech Talks outside of Utah but I'll try to find out. It is fairly inexpensive to host them in UT as you can imagine. Outside it becomes a much more costly proposal. In addition, when you take all of the leadership from the technology department out of commission for a couple of days (travel, etc) it can be disruptive. I'm not saying we won't do them, we may. I'm just pointing out some of the challenges.

Tom
JasonG-p40

Post by JasonG-p40 »

I understand the reasons for keeping it local, I was just reaching for some hope there. ;)

Hmm...I wonder if the wife wants to move to Utah...
Jason D. Griffith
Pampa Ward, Amarillo Stake (Texas)
Community Guidelines
ihenpecked

Post by ihenpecked »

richardkmiller wrote:I really enjoyed the Tech Talks as well. I attended both sessions so I have notes on 6 of the 8 talks for anybody interested:

http://blog.moregoodfoundation.org/2007 ... ech-talks/
Very good notes, Richard
I was hunting around for a report and yours fit the bill.
cshields

Post by cshields »

Yes, thanks for the notes! (the infrastructure notes make me feel warm inside) ;)

A note on OpenOffice.org, I thought it was a great move, very cost effective. I work closely with that community (my day job is providing resources for such OSS projects), and there are some great features coming in the near future. One of the things that is going to be pushed will be an extensions framework (think Firefox in a way) that will stretch beyond application extensions and allow for content extensions as well. Such content can include galleries, templates, macro packs, etc. So, keep in mind that if for instance, the Church were to develop some good templates in OpenOffice.org Calc, and some church graphical content packs, they could be easily packaged and distributed as native OOo extensions. A little rough around the edges right now, but will be better in the months to come. The problem will then be bringing those tens of thousands of OOo installs up to speed with the latest version.

Cheers!
MichaelCHunsaker

Think Outside the Valley

Post by MichaelCHunsaker »

I live in Northern Virginia and I total agree that the expense of tranporting Tech Talks personal out here would be prohibitive. Video and/or audio feeds might also be costly. However, it should be fairly easy and inexpensive to post transcripts and Power Point presentations. Please don't forget those of us who live beyond the Intermountaiin West.
greenwoodkl

Tech Talk Interest in the Bay Area

Post by greenwoodkl »

Joel Dehlin has requested that those interested in a potential Bay Area Tech Talk respond to his post on his blog.
portseven-p40

Post by portseven-p40 »

Northern UK would be great but i guess unlikely!
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

Probabily not for a couple years. Of course if there could be a broadcasted tech talk that went to the stake centers, that might be a cool idea, though I don't know if there is enough interest world-wide for that to be useful.
- David
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

thedqs wrote:Of course if there could be a broadcasted tech talk that went to the stake centers, that might be a cool idea, though I don't know if there is enough interest world-wide for that to be useful.
Unless I'm missing something, the satellite system is on 24/7. If there isn't a lot of interest, just put it on in the dead of night. We're techs. We can program VCRs. :D
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

RussellHltn wrote:We can program VCRs. :D

VCRs who uses those anymore, it's Tivo or DVD-RW now-a-days. :D
- David

Return to “General Discussions”