The Church and Renewable Energy, what section of the Church is reponsible for that?

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

davidmarmolejo wrote:But is it a Program from the Church ? or is part of the culture ?
Based on my experiences in more than eight communities and in five states here in the US, local municipal governments, municipalities, townships, or counties determine whether recycling will be available for curbside service. Whatever the government body is that has the responsibility for trash and garbage pickup will determine whether recycling services will be available or included. Some may require recycling, some may include recycling as an option, some may have the option with an additional fee, and some may have no program at all. If recycling is an option and there are additional fees for the service the Church normally does not participate.

In those locations were recycling is available by drop off at a recycling collection point the Church does not require units to recycle. It is up to the units using a building to decide to make the effort to collect recyclables and then deliver them to the recycling pickup point.

I have lived in only one community where recycling was mandatory. Even then non-residential locations such as Church meetinghouses were not required to recycle. Since the Church meetinghouse was not required to recycle they did not.

So in the US it depends on the ecological culture and ecopolitics of the location whether the Church participates in recycling.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

davidmarmolejo wrote:But is it a Program from the Church ? or is part of the culture ?

A Lds member From Italy? wow! that is one hardest parts
of the World to have new converts .

Say Hi to the Pope for me :D
I think it's more easy for you say Hi to the Pope, since he is in Spain now!
About recyling, as you read above, it's primarly a State's matter.
Why separate trash if they are mix togheter for destructions?
Here in Vicenza there's a separate city collection, so we divide them!
Of course: wood, iron, electronic equipements, eccetera; all have their own collecting point, ans WE bring them to it! Church (FM staff) included.
La vita è una lezione interminabile di umiltà (Anonimo).
Life is a endless lesson of humility (Anonimous).
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

JohnShaw wrote:My perception is that where it is a cultural norm the church will follow. Here in the US it is RARE to see trash divided into paper, plastic, and waste - but when I was in France and the UK it was the norm.
Not just cultural, but physical. What's the use of separating out all your plastic, paper, aluminum, glass, etc, just to have your local waste management company (ie. garbage truck) combine them all into the same hopper? Some locations (even in the US) can handle separate bins, but many can't.

I feel the church does as much as they can with what they have. For example, they encourage recycling things like spent toner cartridges for copiers and printers, as well as recycling PC's, monitors, fax machines, and anything else that becomes obsolete. They use individual thermostats for each room (or sets of rooms) with timers to avoid wasteful consumption of energy when not occupied.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “General Discussions”