Handbook Reference for who should sit with the bishop during sacrament meeting...

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
nathangg

Handbook Reference for who should sit with the bishop during sacrament meeting...

Postby nathangg » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:54 pm

I was looking in the Handbook (1/2) for who should sit with the bishop during sacrament meeting if both of the counselors are gone.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Searching hasn't turned up anything (but I'm sure my word choice is poor and I'm just not able to find it).

Thanks~!

aebrown
Community Administrator

Postby aebrown » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:25 pm

nathangg wrote:I was looking in the Handbook (1/2) for who should sit with the bishop during sacrament meeting if both of the counselors are gone.

When the entire bishopric is not there, the stake president designates who presides. See Section 18.2 in Handbook 2.

But that section mentions only one replacement (typically the HPGL). That seems to imply to me that it's just fine to have one presiding officer on the stand. So I see no reason to have anyone there as an authority figure, but if the bishop would like someone to help him with logistics, he could invite anyone he wants.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

TinMan

Postby TinMan » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:35 pm

I once had the teachers and deacon quorums presidents sit with me. The TQ president was excited because he got to run the pulpit up and down.

I usually have the EQ president and the HPGL if both counselors are gone. I like having someone else on the stand in case there is an emergency or some other problem someone needs to attend to. The High Councilor for our ward could be another choice. If nothing else, it would keep him awake...

dannykos

Postby dannykos » Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:24 pm

I just sit on my own. No big deal.

lajackson
Community Moderators

Postby lajackson » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:39 pm

nathangg wrote:I was looking in the Handbook (1/2) for who should sit with the bishop during sacrament meeting if both of the counselors are gone.

There is no requirement for anyone to sit with him. Except for Fast Sunday, there will normally be other speakers on the stand.

Return to “General Discussions”