Linux Ideas - Just the Desktop

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

What's LDS View?
La vita è una lezione interminabile di umiltà (Anonimo).
Life is a endless lesson of humility (Anonimous).
mdyoung

Post by mdyoung »

"LDS View" is basically the Gospel Library app for windows mobile devices 5.x and 6.x. It also has a desktop client.
Here is the windows mobile installation instructions from the lds.org mobile app site.

I had some difficulty with library files for the scriptures. I couldn't make them install correctly on my windows mobile device.

You can also look here at the BYU site for the desktop client and the desktop based installation client for windows mobile.
Again, I had some problems with the mobile client because I couldn't find where it installs the *.cab files for the 5.x and 6.x windows mobile editions.
You can find all of the files for installation without the clients by going here which is the cached google page (so it might not last very long) but all the files here worked excellently for me.
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

Oh, I see. Thank a lot.
dajoker

Post by dajoker »

I, too, am running the latest MLS under Wine and it is just great! My current purpose, besides seeing if it works at all (install was perfect), is to be able to create some training materials, or respond to others' questions on how to do something in MLS without driving into the Stake Center to use the real version of MLS. Using the test data version is just fine for these purposes and is running faster within wine than it does back in the office anyway. Three cheers to the devs for any changes made to help with this setup.

As mentioned previously, obviously I am not using send/receive, though does that use Afaria if using a non-modem connection? I'll assume so but don't know that to be the case.

AB
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

It would be great if CHQ could give a connection to a "test unit" database.
A simple test connection process could be: Receive data (make some changes), Send changes, Receive for confirmation.
From server side, database could be reset to starting data after every send!
ramsdenb

Software for Linux

Post by ramsdenb »

I am a user of Linux. My favourite distrobution is Linux Mint.:cool: However, apart from GRAMPS, there is nothing really suitable for the Linux desktop. :confused:I know that the Church has the New FamilySearch website, but I find it a bit "clunky" to use. :(I use a dual boot operating system, Linux and Windows. For Windows, I use RootsMagic. But I have this love affair with Linux. It's just a resource friendly and robust, and very use operating system. I'm not a Linux programmer, and sometimes battle with the CUI. Maybe there is a Linux geek who is a Church member that do something in programming a open source genealogical program suited for the LDS members.:)
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

"apart from GRAMPS"?
What do you mean with "genealogical program suited for LDS members"?
GRAMPS has, indeed, a section for LDS member.
Which are the features in RootsMagic that make it preferable to GRAMPS? (From an LDS point of view). Personal preferences are obviously never satified 100%.
marvinperdido

Re: Linux Ideas - Just the Desktop

Post by marvinperdido »

yo uso lds view y realmente no me funciona bien ya que solo me deja ver libro de mormón, doctrina y convenios, perla de gran precio y guía de estudio para las escrituras, por esa razón ando buscando como obtener la aplicación de biblioteca del evangelio para ver si se puede instalar con wine, pero hasta el momento la iglesia tiene bien protegida la aplicación de gospel librery y aun sigo buscando tal vez alguien a logrado extraer la aplicación de la tienda de windows.

Return to “General Discussions”