Worldwide Leadership Training online availability

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

danpass wrote:At the time, I remember being surprised at the lack of response from anyone else on the subject.
I think it depends in part on what broadcast we're talking about. This training broadcast is long and would usually be shown in it's entirety. I would think that General Conference would be shown by talk (at least once a week has past), and having to download a entire DVD to get one talk would not be efficient. So, for me, some ISO images are more useful than others.

danpass wrote:Encrypted broadcasts, in particular, are problematic for us. Our satellite receiver sometimes has problems getting authorized or staying authorized. When this happens, we get a black screen with the text "Not Authorized". Sometimes it recovers quickly, other times not.

How is the reception? Do you get "glitches" where you lose signal for short periods of time? I'm thinking it may be a reception issue.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
marcporter

Post by marcporter »

aebrown wrote:In general, you should not be posting copyrighted material on your own site. For permission, contact the Intellectual Property Office.

I sent off an email to the Intellectual Property Office, I'll post an update when I get a response.
marcporter

Post by marcporter »

That had to be the quickest reply I have ever received on such a request. Here is there reply.
Dear Marc,
Thank you for your request to duplicate Satellite broadcast and make it available on LDS Tech Forum. Permission from such use is not allowed. We do not allow for broadcast to be made available except as we have made it available.
Thank you,
Intellectual Property Division
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
danpass

Post by danpass »

RussellHltn wrote:I think it depends in part on what broadcast we're talking about. This training broadcast is long and would usually be shown in it's entirety. I would think that General Conference would be shown by talk (at least once a week has past), and having to download a entire DVD to get one talk would not be efficient. So, for me, some ISO images are more useful than others.
Agreed. Today, I don't see the need for ISO images of General Conference. But in ancient times, when I made that comment, I was still recording conference broadcasts and burning discs for the library of each meetinghouse in the stake.
RussellHltn wrote:How is the reception? Do you get "glitches" where you lose signal for short periods of time? I'm thinking it may be a reception issue.

The reception is always perfect when the feed is not encrypted. But in the last couple of years, we have only made it through one or two General Priesthood sessions without this problem occurring. The FM group is on it and hopefully it will get resolved in the next 6 weeks.
marcporter

Post by marcporter »

danpass wrote:Today, I don't see the need for ISO images of General Conference. But in ancient times, when I made that comment, I was still recording conference broadcasts and burning discs for the library of each meetinghouse in the stake.
I would still find it helpful to have ISO images of General Conference. We still record all of the sessions and I am amazed how many people still borrow them from the library. I suspect they are mostly borrowed by those who don't have or don't use the internet. We also have a large spanish speaking population who borrow the Spanish copies.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

marcporter wrote:I would still find it helpful to have ISO images of General Conference. We still record all of the sessions and I am amazed how many people still borrow them from the library. I suspect they are mostly borrowed by those who don't have or don't use the internet. We also have a large spanish speaking population who borrow the Spanish copies.

Although I would agree that having an easier way of obtaining the broadcasts would be helpful, in regards to General Conference our stake has been ordering DVD copies of the conference from the Church Store (store.lds.org). The price is VERY reasonable and one major benefit is that they're index so it's easy to find what session or talk you are looking for.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

techgy wrote:one major benefit is that they're index so it's easy to find what session or talk you are looking for.

Unless I'm mistaken, an ISO file can include that plus various captioning options - things we can't do with other download formats.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
chadtew

Post by chadtew »

The way I see it, its simple. I know someone will see it different though.

1. The video is available for streaming to anyone, member or not. Anyone can save the stream given the time and know how.

2. This video in particular (worldwide leadership) will be put on DVD and sold. ISO already created.

Make the video available for download not stream only.

Thanks for your consideration.
marcporter

Post by marcporter »

chadtew wrote:Make the video available for download not stream only.

I asked the Intellectual Property Department if the would pass on this request to the correct department, apparently they weren't the correct department. It never hurts to ask right?
dannykos

Post by dannykos »

Well, I managed to grab an mp4 version of it - albeit optimised for mobile devices. Some trick using safari on a mac - with flash disabled and then the brightcove server sends an html5 version instead - which I grabbed. Even though the picture quality won't be all that once projected - I think it'll do.

Return to “General Discussions”