Conference in HD?

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

avskip wrote:I would personally prefer to see the unnecessary expense for all the HD equipment and associated costs for a pretty picture (HD) spent on something else like buildings or better computers.

I've not been really impressed by what I've seen with HD thus far anyway. So what if I can see each individual hair on someone's head or the acne scars on their face. Just old fashioned I guess.
Notice I didn't say this is something I wanted to see. Who needs HD to see someone talking at a podium? Besides, if the members thought the picture too small, they can move up to the front row seats instead of sitting halfway back in the chapel. :rolleyes:

But it's something I can see the members wanting. And I can see some of the Church's more creative works loosing their emotional impact when viewed in "substandard" TV. So like thedqs, I think it's more a matter of when.
cannona-p40

Post by cannona-p40 »

avskip wrote:An off-the-wall thought: How would you watch all this on your TV if you lived somewhere remote like Africa or the Australian Outback or perhaps deep in the Amazon? I would imagine it would have to be by satellite and whatever that dictated.
Perhaps this is not exactly the answer you were looking for, but when I was in Guatemala, I found my self wishing that the Church would offer a super-compressed audio only file for download; something like 12KBPS. It wouldn't be the most pleasant to listen to, but it would get the job done, and since I was paying for my internet connection by the minute, it would have allowed me to save a bit of money. Rather than stay connected for 8 hours total, I might have been able to download everything in as little as 2.5 hours.

Aaron
StevePoulsen
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by StevePoulsen »

RussellHltn wrote:I'm sure we'd have to change out the receivers, but I was wondering if it included the antenna too.
It actually depends on the receiver in the building right now. If you were to look at the back of the new 550, and 550-2 or 550-202, you will notice that these receivers have a built in HDMI output port.

They are already capable of Receiving and outputting HD broadcasts. But first the signal would need to be in HD.

As to changing out the Satellite Dish, the current Dish be it C-Band (~11' diameter) or Ku-Band (~4 0r ~6) can remain. all that changes is the carrier settings and the modulation scheme. Right now the Church uses DVB-S, and a move to DVB-S2 could get the HD signal in approximately the same bandwidth pipe.

Doing so however would require that all of the non HD capable receivers (DVR 396/395, and Unity 500's) be changed out. Note: World Wide there are over 7,000 receivers in use of which over half would need to be replaced.
Steve Poulsen - Meetinghouse Facilities Technology Engineer

Return to “General Discussions”