Conference in HD?

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
skiptaylor

Post by skiptaylor »

An off-the-wall thought: How would you watch all this on your TV if you lived somewhere remote like Africa or the Australian Outback or perhaps deep in the Amazon? I would imagine it would have to be by satellite and whatever that dictated.
Skip Taylor :eek:
Lancaster CA.
skiptaylor

Post by skiptaylor »

RussellHltn wrote:So, there I was making sure the RS Broadcast went OK (the big screen remote is a priesthood responsibility :D)
We don't have a remote for ours. :rolleyes:
Lancaster CA.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

thedqs wrote:From what I remember about sat Internet the uplink is still 56Kb or 128 Kb and it goes through your phone line (I think similar to DSL).
There are some types of sat connections that are two way. I was thinking more in terms of backup or emergency communications, but it would also be usable for some remote sites. Broadband is still not universal, even in the U.S.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

avskip wrote:We don't have a remote for ours. :rolleyes:
You lost it? :eek::rolleyes:

Or is it that old? Of the 3 projectors we've used, I think only the 3 tube Sony doesn't have a remote. The large Sharp does as does the small computer-capable Sony.

But I don't bother with the remote myself. The truth is hauling the equipment out and getting it working is a Priesthood responsibility :sigh:
nbflint

Post by nbflint »

thedqs wrote:From what I remember about sat internet the uplink is still 56Kb or 128 Kb and it goes through your phone line (I think similar to DSL).
We just subscribed to Wild Blue satellite internet service a couple of weeks ago. The uplink is 128 kbps and the downlink is from 512kbps to 1.5 mbps. Both streams are through the sat., no phone line required!

When it's your only option for high speed (as with us), the difference is phenomonal.

rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

RussellHltn wrote:Well, the story I heard is that that church was pushed from analog into digital by the satellite folks. It could happen again.

I've been told that our dish at the stake center is overdue for a change. It was built when the satellites weren't spaced as closely together as they are now, so it doesn't have a sharp enough focus to keep neighboring stats out of the signal. But otherwise, yes, I'd agree. OTOH, if the Church has to make a good sized change to the system, I hope they do look at the bands. I'm sure lots of people would like to see smaller dishes. :rolleyes: Not to mention the possibility of doing two-way/Internet connection.

Both the stake center I previously worked at and my current meetinghouse have the first generation Scientific Atlantic huge white dish with the three-point anchor system. Neither of those locations had any problems from satellite spacing--at least not yet. I understand the slightly smaller beige SA dish on a short, fat pole was the style installed a few years later. One nice thing about an older and larger dish is it brings in much more signal so the raw front-end signal-to-noise ratio can be better than with a smaller dish. IIRC, I usually see Be/N0 numbers around 13. Now, maybe birds will be too close together in the future. If that happens, I suspect this forum is where we'll first hear about it.
jkarras-p40

Post by jkarras-p40 »

avskip wrote:An off-the-wall thought: How would you watch all this on your TV if you lived somewhere remote like Africa or the Australian Outback or perhaps deep in the Amazon? I would imagine it would have to be by satellite and whatever that dictated.
You would have to use a Satellite dish. BYU TV and the normal LDS feed are free to air. You can just point an appropriate dish at the sat and get the feed with a DVB receiver. I had a friend that used a few old Dish Network or DirectTV dishes to get some free to air programing. I believe at the SLC tech talk they mentioned that something like 80% of the earth is covered for conference.

If you follow the link below it shows the sats. which BYU-TV is carried on. If you click on each one they have a link at the top labeled "LyngSat Maps" if you click on that it will show a coverage map for that satellite.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

avskip wrote:An off-the-wall thought: How would you watch all this on your TV if you lived somewhere remote like Africa or the Australian Outback or perhaps deep in the Amazon? I would imagine it would have to be by satellite and whatever that dictated.
Hmmmmm, and how is that different then what we do now? I'm not following you.
skiptaylor

Post by skiptaylor »

RussellHltn wrote:Hmmmmm, and how is that different then what we do now? I'm not following you.
Someday I will learn to quote the "thought source"... maybe just maybe... no promises though. :D

What prompted my thought from "out there" was this on page one of this thread written by thedqs:

"So I still would like the wards and stakes to go fiber-optic, currently possible here in Utah Valley, and then you could have the church on one large network and get access to intranet resources for church buildings only."

I don't know if there's that much satellite RF space available anymore unless you spend major money. I would personally prefer to see the unnecessary expense for all the HD equipment and associated costs for a pretty picture (HD) spent on something else like buildings or better computers.

I've not been really impressed by what I've seen with HD thus far anyway. So what if I can see each individual hair on someone's head or the acne scars on their face. Just old fashioned I guess.
Lancaster CA.
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

Just as long as the church keeps up with the standard I think it will be fine. In a short number of years I can see all SD looking more like our YouTube videos of today, since we will be used to all the HD content that will become standard. So it is really just a question of when instead of it.
- David

Return to “General Discussions”