LDS CDN for LDS.org sites

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
allenjblodgett

LDS CDN for LDS.org sites

Post by allenjblodgett »

Does anybody see lds.org like this?
http://lds.org/?lang=eng
untitled.JPG
(61.29 KiB) Downloaded 242 times

I think somebody goofed on the css file's link.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

I saw this once using Firefox, but a refresh made it go back to displaying normally.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
allenjblodgett

Post by allenjblodgett »

When you view the html code with your browser, does it say ldscdn.org in the head section?

Also, I've been seeing this for several hours, and have used the feedback link, which was hard to find.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

AllenBlodgett wrote:When you view the html code with your browser, does it say ldscdn.org in the head section?

Yes. Why do you ask? Are you thinking that represents some kind of error? It doesn't, since ldscdn.org is a domain owned by the Church (via Intellectual Reserve, Inc.) and is clearly being used as a content delivery network as part of the lds.org site.
AllenBlodgett wrote:I've ... used the feedback link, which was hard to find.

It's not uncommon for a feedback link to be in the footer of a web page. It seems to me that putting a link called "Submit Feedback" in a section of the footer labeled "Help and Feedback" is a pretty good choice. Given all the important content on lds.org that needs to be linked to, where would you have expected to find that link?
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

AllenBlodgett wrote:Does anybody see lds.org like this?
I think somebody goofed on the css file's link.

Yes. Every week or so it appears that way, then after a couple of hours (or sometimes a day) it goes back to looking as I suppose it ought to look.

Quite disconcerting. I have been trying to figure out why. I started a thread about it, but there was no conclusive determination as to whether the cause was at my browser end or the server end.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

lajackson wrote:Yes. Every week or so it appears that way, then after a couple of hours (or sometimes a day) it goes back to looking as I suppose it ought to look.

Quite disconcerting. I have been trying to figure out why. I started a thread about it, but there was no conclusive determination as to whether the cause was at my browser end or the server end.
I'm sure it's at the server end. That's exactly the look you get when a CSS file (or possibly a JS file that applies styling) doesn't get loaded properly. It's not uncommon when a server is not able to keep up with the load. That seems the most likely cause, since the problem is so transient. It could also be caused by an error in the HTML/CSS/JS, but such problems would be more persistent, so I doubt that is the problem in this case.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
allenjblodgett

Post by allenjblodgett »

Thanks, I'll put in a request that the domain gets unblocked...

Return to “General Discussions”