LDS Mac App

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
ryan.h.jones@gmail.com

Re: LDS Mac App

Post by ryan.h.jones@gmail.com »

Agree with others...offline access is my primary reason for wanting an app.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Church development efforts for desktop computer applications will most likely require a sponsor from a Church department. Church departments are the customers for ICS efforts. Most of what we as members see on LDS.org and in mobile applications is sponsored by the Priesthood Department. Many mobile applications are developed by operating system teams with church employees as the team leads and community developers providing a good portion of the development.

We have not heard of any efforts to provide offline applications for desktop systems similar to the applications developed for the mobile community. In fact there has been considerable delay in getting any momentum for Windows Phone 8. There has been some speculation as to why this is.

I am guessing that until Windows Phone 8 application development receives approval from some sponsoring department there is little likelihood of any application development for desktop systems. This is because ICS is limited in resources and must meet current sponsoring department requirements and the priorities set by those departments before other nice to have programs can be started.

I would not rule out that desktop applications will ever be developed. They just may not become available in any time frame we, as users, would consider to be acceptable.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
scott.peterson

Post by scott.peterson »

I want it too!
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

In the meantime you could try installing Android on an emulator like VirtualBox. See this post: https://tech.lds.org/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 4&p=111937
vanillaorchida

Post by vanillaorchida »

Download and install Kindle for Mac from Amazon.

Then search for The Complete LDS Scriptures and any other LDS titles you are interested in.

Kindle version isn't as good as iPad apps...but it's better than nothing!

Also, once you download a book into your Kindle for Mac...you can read it, highlight, etc without internet access....

And...wait for it...wait for it...it syncs last page read and highlights to any device that runs Kindle...iphone, android, PC, Mac, iPad...Yeah! Even works on my Blackberry Curve!

Return to “General Discussions”