The Church's digital storage

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
User avatar
bensonmcconkie
New Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:29 pm
Location: USA

The Church's digital storage

Postby bensonmcconkie » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:52 pm

I do FamilySearch Indexing, and after reading the following article, wondered: How does the Church plan to keep its digital data forever? Especially the data on FamilySearch.org?

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700099147/California-nonprofit-Well-store-digital-data-forever.html

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 20734
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Postby russellhltn » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:03 pm

This old thread may give you some ideas.

Keep in mind the article you point out is about personal data storage which tends to be in one place and/or placed on a shelf for long periods of time. Since FamilySearch is "on-line" system, it's a "live" system that's routinely backed up, updated and professionally managed.
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

User avatar
bensonmcconkie
New Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:29 pm
Location: USA

Postby bensonmcconkie » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:05 pm

RussellHltn wrote:This old thread may give you some ideas.

Keep in mind the article you point out is about personal data storage which tends to be in one place and/or placed on a shelf for long periods of time. Since FamilySearch is "on-line" system, it's a "live" system that's routinely backed up, updated and professionally managed.


Thanks for the link--are there other differences (besides it being on a personal data storage) between what this person is doing, and what large companies/organizations do? I'm just curious.

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 20734
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Postby russellhltn » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:01 pm

bensonmcconkie wrote:are there other differences (besides it being on a personal data storage) between what this person is doing, and what large companies/organizations do? I'm just curious.


Nothing jumped out at me as being obviously different.
Have you searched the Wiki?

Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 14688
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Postby aebrown » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:58 pm

bensonmcconkie wrote:I do FamilySearch Indexing, and after reading the following article, wondered: How does the Church plan to keep its digital data forever? Especially the data on FamilySearch.org?


This topic is addressed directly on an interesting video produced by FamilySearch about the Granite Mountain vault. In particular, go to about the 4:00 mark on the second video:

This covers the topic of the digital data for the historical records themselves, but I would think that similar care is taken for other irreplaceable data.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

User avatar
bensonmcconkie
New Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:29 pm
Location: USA

Postby bensonmcconkie » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:50 am

aebrown wrote:This topic is addressed directly on an interesting video produced by FamilySearch about the Granite Mountain vault. In particular, go to about the 4:00 mark on the second video:

This covers the topic of the digital data for the historical records themselves, but I would think that similar care is taken for other irreplaceable data.


Great video. Thanks!


Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest