LDS.org transition kind of complete

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
User avatar
allenblodgett
Member
Posts: 87
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:08 pm
Location: San Fernando, CA, USA
Contact:

LDS.org transition kind of complete

Postby allenblodgett » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:10 pm

I see that the folks in Salt Lake City transitioning to the new LDS.org have put the new site at lds.org. However, the link at the bottom of the page to classic.lds.org goes to a page that apparently doesn't exist...

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 14693
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Postby aebrown » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:34 pm

allen.blodgett wrote:I see that the folks in Salt Lake City transitioning to the new LDS.org have put the new site at lds.org. However, the link at the bottom of the page to classic.lds.org goes to a page that apparently doesn't exist...


The classic.lds.org link works just fine for me (in Chrome, Firefox, and IE). Perhaps you tried it a bit too early when DNS entries were still in transition.

(And I don't think the people doing this are in Salt Lake City -- it's much more likely that they are in Riverton. :) )
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

DGMortensen-p40
New Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:44 pm
Location: Austin, TX, United States

Ward Calendar in New Website

Postby DGMortensen-p40 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:45 pm

I can't find a good link to the old ward calendar on the new website. Members of our ward are going to get confused with the new calendar being much easier to find than the old one. I thought we were directed to continue using the old calendar for 2011. Is that no longer correct? If we can use the new one, I'll migrate everything over soon. If we are to use the old one, it would be helpful to have a prominent link on the new website.

jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee
Posts: 1455
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:12 am
Location: Farmington, UT, USA

Postby jonesrk » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:51 pm

DGMortensen wrote:I can't find a good link to the old ward calendar on the new website. Members of our ward are going to get confused with the new calendar being much easier to find than the old one. I thought we were directed to continue using the old calendar for 2011. Is that no longer correct? If we can use the new one, I'll migrate everything over soon. If we are to use the old one, it would be helpful to have a prominent link on the new website.

It isn't quite front and center, but on the tools menu there is a link to Stake and Ward Websites which hosts the old calendar.

Note: I'm currently seeing an error with the tools menu not loading due to a server error.
Ryan Jones
CDOL Developer
Stake Technology Specialist - Software / Stake Assistant Clerk
Former Ward Clerk

DGMortensen-p40
New Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:44 pm
Location: Austin, TX, United States

Postby DGMortensen-p40 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:54 pm

Thanks. I should have seen that. It even has a familiar icon next to it.

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 14693
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Postby aebrown » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:58 pm

DGMortensen wrote:I can't find a good link to the old ward calendar on the new website. Members of our ward are going to get confused with the new calendar being much easier to find than the old one. I thought we were directed to continue using the old calendar for 2011. Is that no longer correct? If we can use the new one, I'll migrate everything over soon. If we are to use the old one, it would be helpful to have a prominent link on the new website.


On the Tools menu of the new lds.org site, there is a link to "Stake and Ward Websites". That's fairly prominent.

The recommendation on using the new calendar for 2011 keeps changing. Originally we were told to plan on using it for 2011, then we were strongly warned not to use it for 2011 except for private calendars, then we were encouraged to stay with the old one but using the new one would be okay. The current statement is:

"The new calendar is ready for use today, and some stakes are using it exclusively for their 2011 events. It will receive a new look (simplified & more intuitive) in February 2011, so most stakes are waiting to migrate then."

I find that new statement to be a bit humorous -- it's hard to believe that "most stakes" know anything about a new look coming in February 2011, so it's quite unlikely that they are basing any migration decisions on that particular piece of information.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

User avatar
mfmohlma
Senior Member
Posts: 784
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:45 pm
Location: Hillsboro, OR

Postby mfmohlma » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:33 pm

Alan_Brown wrote:I find that new statement to be a bit humorous -- it's hard to believe that "most stakes" know anything about a new look coming in February 2011, so it's quite unlikely that they are basing any migration decisions on that particular piece of information.


A bit of programmer ego-centrism perhaps. :p I guarantee the leaders of the stakes where the calendar developers live know a thing or two about the new calendar. :D

lajackson
Community Moderators
Posts: 6149
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:27 pm
Location: US

Postby lajackson » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:16 pm

Alan_Brown wrote:The current statement is:

"The new calendar is ready for use today, and some stakes are using it exclusively for their 2011 events. It will receive a new look (simplified & more intuitive) in February 2011, so most stakes are waiting to migrate then."

I find that new statement to be a bit humorous -- it's hard to believe that "most stakes" know anything about a new look coming in February 2011, so it's quite unlikely that they are basing any migration decisions on that particular piece of information.


What a hoot! New look? Waiting to migrate? I wouldn't know anything about anything about this "new" calendar if I did not haunt this forum. And even having haunted, I have never seen any of the new calendars.

For the record, no one has asked "this stake" what it plans to do.

FullmerCB
Church Employee
Church Employee
Posts: 59
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:26 am

Migration to new calendar

Postby FullmerCB » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:32 pm

Thanks for pointing out the confusion. The release schedule has accelerated, so we've now revised the message.

Stakes are invited to migrate now.


Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest