YSA Wards/Branches and the Activities Committee

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
TinMan

Post by TinMan »

Alan_Brown wrote:
Budgeting can still be done using an "Activities" subcategory. I agree that it makes no sense to charge the cost of ward activities to an organization that was simply given organizational responsibility.

It should be less. Trust in the inspiration of the leaders of the Church. I think this can really work well if we work with it, not against it or around it.

That sounds like a rationalization for keeping the current system. There's no difference between having a permanent activities committee and having one that disbands and re-forms for every activity. If that were the intent of the new Handbook, they never would have removed the activities committee as a permanent committee.
I understand the budget can go in an activities sub category. But who determines how much to put there and who has the stewardship for the day to day control of it? You don't have an activities committee any longer to submit a budget, so my assumption is the bishop(ric.) Or are you suggesting that the ward council get together "well before the end of the year" (see HB 1) and determine the budget for all the activities for the year?

And just because I am having a difficult time with the implementation and day to day operations doesn't mean I am "rationalizing" or "not trusting in the inspiration of the leaders." They gave me a CUBS program I don't understand and came with very few explanations, they wiped out all my previous budget history for the year, and the Stake has no idea what my budget allotment for next quarter will be, let alone next year. Now I am told that the Ward Council will plan all the activities with no guidance on how to plan activities with "little or no cost" for a ward of 180 families.

Forgive me for being a little confused and having just one or two questions. :confused:
nutterb

Post by nutterb »

TinMan wrote:I understand the budget can go in an activities sub category. But who determines how much to put there and who has the stewardship for the day to day control of it?
The bishop.
You don't have an activities committee any longer to submit a budget, so my assumption is the bishop(ric.) Or are you suggesting that the ward council get together "well before the end of the year" (see HB 1) and determine the budget for all the activities for the year?
In my ward, the bishopric turns all the budget decisions over to me (although I have to submit it for final approval first). It's no different this year. So I took some time to review the paper records, see how much money was spent on the various activities, and figure out how much we'd need for each activity planned for 2011 (fortunately, all of our 2011 activities were already scheduled). In the process of doing this, I discovered that there was no way our budget could support all the activities as envisioned, and was able to avoid catastrophe by redirecting some of the ideas toward less costly alternatives.

The things I would suggest looking at are 1) how many dinners are being planned, 2) how much does a typical dinner for your ward cost, 3) how many service projects are planned (if activities are getting expensive, suggest more community service), 4) how many low key social activities are planned. Sports nights, movie nights are a great way to bring the ward together for an evening of fun at minimal cost.
And just because I am having a difficult time with the implementation and day to day operations doesn't mean I am "rationalizing" or "not trusting in the inspiration of the leaders." They gave me a CUBS program I don't understand and came with very few explanations, they wiped out all my previous budget history for the year, and the Stake has no idea what my budget allotment for next quarter will be, let alone next year. Now I am told that the Ward Council will plan all the activities with no guidance on how to plan activities with "little or no cost" for a ward of 180 families.

Forgive me for being a little confused and having just one or two questions. :confused:
My bishop is struggling to make this transition too. The only advice I can give is to force a complete severance from "the old ways." If you cling to remnants of the old format, it will make it harder to innovate and find creative solutions within the newer framework.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

TinMan wrote:But in a YSA ward, activities are the lifeblood of the ward.
I'd hope the gospel and the block meetings would be the "lifeblood".

But, yes, activities are important.
TinMan wrote:And who is on the Ward Council in a YSA ward? The Elders, the Relief Society,
And between them, you've got the whole ward. I don't think anyone is proposing that the leaders have to organize the event. Just that their organization will have some responsibilities.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
dannykos

Post by dannykos »

a general question about this policy - do we actually release people currently serving on our activities committee, or does the guidance that they "no longer exist" suffice?

My committee chairperson was at the training meeting, and came up to me afterwards and said, "so I'm sacked then?!" :)
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

dannykos wrote:a general question about this policy - do we actually release people currently serving on our activities committee, or does the guidance that they "no longer exist" suffice?
I can't see any reason why these callings would be handled any differently from all other callings. If a person has served in a position, then at the conclusion of their service they should be extended a release and thanked for their service.
dannykos wrote:My committee chairperson was at the training meeting, and came up to me afterwards and said, "so I'm sacked then?!" :)
Hopefully this was spoken lightheartedly. People previously serving on the activities committee are now available for other service. In addition, they certainly could be good candidates for an ad hoc activity committee, if the bishop and ward council choose to implement such a committee at some point in the future.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
dannykos

Post by dannykos »

Alan_Brown wrote:Hopefully this was spoken lightheartedly. People previously serving on the activities committee are now available for other service. In addition, they certainly could be good candidates for an ad hoc activity committee, if the bishop and ward council choose to implement such a committee at some point in the future.
yeah - I think they were all okay about it… reminds me of the time I was released from the stand without having even been spoken to first!?
waynecooke

Post by waynecooke »

Two quick notes. One, our High Priest's Group has been "in charge" of the 4th of July Breakfast for quite a few years. It worked just fine. The funds came out of the Ward budget, not the Activity committee.

Also, mentioning about being released from the stand with out being told before hand, I was a Seventy, and in Stake Conference, I was released as one of the "Seven Presidents of the Seventy" in the stake with out being told. In fact I wasn't even told I *was* one of the "Seven Presidents"! :eek:
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

dannykos wrote:yeah - I think they were all okay about it… reminds me of the time I was released from the stand without having even been spoken to first!?

Beats being called and sustained from the pulpit without having even been spoken to first. [grin]

As for the activities committee, I think the bishopric ought to figure out new callings for them, visit with them, release them personally (and then from the pulpit) and call them, sustain them, and set them apart to their new callings.
justincy

Post by justincy »

I spent the better part of last year attending PEC and Ward Council in a YSA ward. I watched as various activities were planned by either the Activities Committee, the RS, or the Elders. The most memorable and effective were those with the least involvement from the Activities Committee. Why? I believe it is because the Activities Committee had different goals than the RS and the Elders.

Yes, there will be an increased burden on the RS and the Elders, but those presidencies not only have more rights to revelation that are inherent with the calling, but now in the absence of the Activities Committee there are also more people who can be given assignments. Having witnessed first hand the miracles that occur in a ward when the RS and the Elders effectively delegate, I rejoiced as I listened to Elder Cook explain these changes.
dannykos

Post by dannykos »

well i'm still not sure how this is supposed to ease the burden on the bishop - now being responsible to direct activity conception, organisation, budgeting and delivery. I know that ward council members can take a large slice of that work - but I expect to be more involved in ward activity planning next year than in years past.

Anyhow - we're not here to debate the principle… carry on :)

Return to “General Discussions”