Handbook instructions relative to CUBS

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
waynecooke
Member
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:05 am
Location: Kalama, Washington

Handbook instructions relative to CUBS

Postby waynecooke » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:31 pm

I have really come up with a question here. On page 3 of our instructions we received prior to the CUBS change over dated 8 Oct 2010, in the first full paragraph it says that December Budget balances will be carried "forward to the next year".

In section 14.7.2 of CHI 1, under "General Principles and Guidelines", it says that unneeded ward funds are returned to the stake.

I am assuming that the CHI trumps the "Message Received from Church Headquarters" entitled " CUBS EDOC - NEW LOCAL UNIT FINANCIAL PROCESSES UPDATE".

Is this another example of the right hand not knowing what the left is doing?

JamesAnderson
Senior Member
Posts: 748
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:03 pm

Postby JamesAnderson » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:42 pm

On the CUBS matter, I'm thinking that the instructions were probably prepared before those that had prepared them knew what would be in the Chapter 14 of Book 1. I've seen that happen before in other unrelated settings where something was introduced only to see it changed a very short time later.

This would be a good question to ask the bishop or stake president, they should be able to get direction on something like this, especially since one or the other is going to apply in just under three weeks from now.

As to the meeting, very good and thorough, everything was thoughtfully considered, and it will go a long way in helping leaders now and in the future understand the role of themselves in the council setting, and the handbooks themselves, I said in either this or another thread that I believed this to be a significant day in the history of the Church, and it did not disappoint, from viewing the handbook today, spent a good part of the day just going over it, and then viewing the meeting, it all is going to mean a lot to me as well as everyone else who has or will yet serve in a leadership calling.

And it's good to see Elder Packer looking and sounding better than he has the last few times we've seen him. To see him on his feet is a very good thing.

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 20721
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Postby russellhltn » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:14 am

wcooke wrote: in the first full paragraph it says that December Budget balances will be carried "forward to the next year".

In section 14.7.2 of CHI 1, under "General Principles and Guidelines", it says that unneeded ward funds are returned to the stake.


I'm not sure as that's a contradiction. Certainly if there's an excess, then it should be (manually) turned over to the stake. But that doesn't mean that it won't roll over.
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

allenjpl
Member
Posts: 294
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:26 am
Location: Las Vegas, NV, USA

Postby allenjpl » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:23 am

wcooke wrote:
Is this another example of the right hand not knowing what the left is doing?


The CHI 1 also mentions reconciling the monthly statement.

nutterb
Member
Posts: 257
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:06 am
Location: Shaker Heights, OH, USA

Postby nutterb » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:27 am

Let's not forget that CUBS only applies to the United States and Canada. Many of these policies will still apply to other places in the world. My guess would be that those units using CUBS will be instructed to follow the instructions that came with the roll-out, and units without CUBS will continue to do things as directed by the handbooks. Also, as with the past books, clerks will likely find more up-to-date training and policies on the Church's website than they find in the CHI.

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 14685
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Postby aebrown » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:27 am

LVAllen wrote:The CHI 1 also mentions reconciling the monthly statement.


That's still a correct statement. You just have to take a broader view of the word "reconciling" than following the exact process we ran through each month before CUBS. There will still be deposit shortages and overages to deal with, and other items that will show up on the new financial statement's Action Items section. There is also the need for vigilance in making sure that transactions downloaded from CUBS to MLS are correct. Also, note that the new financial statement requires review and signature by the priesthood leader and clerk. Any of these activities can be described as a reconciliation.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

lajackson
Community Moderators
Posts: 6126
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:27 pm
Location: US

Postby lajackson » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:07 am

wcooke wrote:On page 3 of our instructions we received prior to the CUBS change over dated 8 Oct 2010, in the first full paragraph it says that December Budget balances will be carried "forward to the next year".

In section 14.7.2 of CHI 1, under "General Principles and Guidelines", it says that unneeded ward funds are returned to the stake.

I am assuming that the CHI trumps the "Message Received from Church Headquarters" entitled " CUBS EDOC - NEW LOCAL UNIT FINANCIAL PROCESSES UPDATE".

Is this another example of the right hand not knowing what the left is doing?


I think this is more a case of the CUBS instructions letting us know that any balance will roll over to the new year in MLS, but that the Principle and Guideline in the new Handbook 1 is that unneeded funds should be returned to the stake, which would require a manual process to accomplish (i.e., the ward would need to write a check).

JamesAnderson wrote:And it's good to see Elder Packer looking and sounding better than he has the last few times we've seen him. To see him on his feet is a very good thing.


He was looking well in the broadcast, although if you watched carefully, he was sitting on a stool-type chair as he spoke. Nevertheless, his message was superb and timely.

waynecooke
Member
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:05 am
Location: Kalama, Washington

Postby waynecooke » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:06 am

lajackson wrote:I think this is more a case of the CUBS instructions letting us know that any balance will roll over to the new year in MLS, but that the Principle and Guideline in the new Handbook 1 is that unneeded funds should be returned to the stake, which would require a manual process to accomplish (i.e., the ward would need to write a check).


RussellHltn wrote:I'm not sure as that's a contradiction. Certainly if there's an excess, then it should be (manually) turned over to the stake. But that doesn't mean that it won't roll over.


Oh, Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 14685
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Postby aebrown » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:01 am

wcooke wrote:Oh, Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


I fail to see why you're so sure you caught the Church in a contradiction here. RussellHltn and lajackson gave very reasonable explanations. There is no contradiction, unless you assume that "unneeded" and "unspent" are the exact same words in the English language, which they are not.

The CUBS instructions say that balances are carried forward at the end of the year. That means any money that is not spent will be carried forward. That is a 100% true statement, as you will find out on January 1. Note also that the CUBS statement says nothing about whether those amounts are positive or negative. Negative balances will be carried forward, just as positive balances are.

The Handbook principle being taught is that wards should not be holding on to unneeded funds. That is also 100% true -- if there is no need for budget funds for a particular unit, those funds should be moved to another unit or back to the Church where the funds can be used for some good purpose. The bishop and stake president have a responsibility to make sure unneeded funds are not retained.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

waynecooke
Member
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:05 am
Location: Kalama, Washington

Postby waynecooke » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:26 pm

I know this thread has progressed to access to CHI1, but going back to my previous posts. I understand what Alan said, but I guess that we looked it slightly differently. When we heard about the "roll over", our Bishop was very pleased. That policy would seem to "reward" those wards who, during one year, were very fiscally prudent, and didn't spend all of their funds, by letting them use those few dollars left from the previous year for expenses the next year.

I know that with the previous policy, and I guess it remains so, that those wards who have funds left over towards the end of the year will be tempted spend those funds at the end of the year on things that they might not have spent them on if they could have carried the funds over.

Anyway, of course we will follow policy and learn and grow from obedience. All in all, the more I find out about the CUBS system, the more I like it. It seems that it will, over all, be an easier system to use once we get into next year..

I really appreciate this forum. As you can see, I just recently "stumbled" on it, and have learned so much. Thank you to all of you who contribute.


Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest