What is the purpose of PEC?

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
nutterb

What is the purpose of PEC?

Post by nutterb »

I don't know the answer to this question. Any ideas? Given the instruction below, I really don't know what the point of PEC is.

Admittedly, part of my confusion is that every unit I've ever been in has treated PEC, welfare, and ward council meetings like the same meeting, but with different participants.

I'd really like to figure this out before my next bishopric meeting so that I can give some feedback on meeting schedule. What are the feelings and experiences among the participants here?

4.3 Priesthood Executive Committee

The ward priesthood executive committee (PEC) includes the bishopric, ward clerk, ward executive secretary, high priests group leader, elders quorum president, ward mission leader, and Young Men president.

The PEC meets regularly to consider priesthood matters. Generally, the PEC need not consider matters that will be discussed by the ward council. However, it may be beneficial for the PEC to preview some matters that will be on the ward council’s agenda. For convenience, the PEC could meet just before the ward council meeting.

As needed, the bishop may invite the Relief Society president to attend some ward PEC meetings to discuss confidential welfare matters and to coordinate home teaching and visiting teaching assignments.
HintonBR

Home Teaching

Post by HintonBR »

In discussions in our Ward Council on Sunday Home Teaching was talked about as one item that would/could be a PEC only discussion - no need to have the whole Ward Council in the meeting to talk about Home Teaching statistics, areas for improvement, assignments, etc... Beyond that there may be a small smattering of Welfare Confidential matters for the PEC only, but not much after that. It appears that we will be holding a short PEC after our now twice a month Ward Council meeting to discuss any items that weren't necessary to discuss in Ward Council - we'll see how many of those kind of items there are and how often we actually hold that follow-on PEC meeting.
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

Section 4.3 basically says what I have heard for the last few years, that Ward Council is the main administrative meeting in the ward. I think they were leaning towards what you see in the handbook for some time.

PEC will still be very much needed, its function will not change that much, but will become more focused on certain things. I've been in all three councils, bishopric, PEC, and ward council, and they all serve different purposes so this handbook is clarifying those focal points somewhat. That sharpening of focus will enhance all three meetings, and bring about much good as it pertains to the work each of those councils does, and enhance the mission and purpose of the Church significantly.
dannykos

Post by dannykos »

I have to say, it's been pretty hard to effectively distinguish between PEC and Ward Council for me. After viewing the training and reading the handbooks, things have been clarified to a degree - although I still think the majority of potential PEC items can be dealt with outside of a specific meeting.

I can see a time when PEC no longer exists as a separate entity.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Our sample PEC items before recent training...

Post by kisaac »

We've used PEC as an opportunity to discuss / coordinate the following, as seen in a sample agenda that I've stripped of most details and uploaded. We've held it on the third Sunday to allow the collection of last months home teaching statistics, and since this is just after the quorums turn in their home teaching reports to the bishopric and stake, it is when these are reviewed.

Because of the attendance of YM, HP and Elders, it is a great time to coordinate not only home teaching, but Service Assignments and Priesthood advancements (YM and Prospective) which often involve coordination between the quorums and HP group, without the whole Council's time in Ward council to be taken discussing them.

1) Report of any assignments from Previous meeting:
2) Planning and reporting on ward service assignments or projects
3) Home teaching report from each quorum or group, including the Young men, from last months stats.
a) any unassigned potential Young men as Jr. companions
b) any "unassigned to be home taught" members, including new move-ins, and leaders who have visited them, why they remain unassigned, and which quorum or group will assign home teachers to visit them
c) Companions and or Jr. Companions assigned as home teachers, but not making it out to do their home teaching
4) Priesthood advancement goals and plans for YM and Prospective Elders under the care of HP or Elders.

I'm not sure how much this will change now...
Attachments
sample PEC agenda.pdf
(100.25 KiB) Downloaded 1424 times
natemaria

Re: What is the purpose of PEC?

Post by natemaria »

kisac this is a great agenda. thanks for sharing. i took it and manipulated it to our needs. we will use it tomorrow.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

1, ok given
2, - a WARD service assignment or project report belongs in WARD council
3. HT Report - OK, though what happens when discussing a family without the RS President, seems like information that will be repeated or half-baked if the RS isn't included.
3a - ok
3b - Any assigning of HT or discussion with new members is likely a better discussion with at least the RS President involved
3c - Seems like a role for the YM Quorum leader to be assigned to follow up with the young man and if the AP quorum leader isn't there why bother talking about without the person who SHOULD have all the information necessary
4 - good

Again, It seems like there is SO VERY LITTLE to do with a PEC anymore the above agenda is pretty good but seems to stretch a reason to HOLD the meeting rather than the other way around...

After the new handbook came out that clearly de-emphasized the role of PEC - and a follow-up in the WWT events, this was a follow-up discussion addresses by E. Cook (IIRC) - he mentioned that the question came up that others were struggling with what PEC was for, his acknowledgement that little, if anything, needs to happen in PEC that can't happen with the whole Ward Council. He didn't come right out and say not to hold it, but as for me, it's MAYBE a 15 minutes a month thing, where Ward Council is a regular meeting.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

This is an interesting discussion. My ward is in a habit of holding ward council meeting the first and third Sundays and PEC the second and fourth Sundays. Sometimes as a ward council member I feel out of the loop because ward council-like items were discussed during PEC as if it were a ward council meeting, but without half of the ward council. I don't think we've stopped to think about the difference and purpose of each, but it would be helpful. I'm not in a direct position to change it, but I'll see if I can bring it up as a suggestion one of these days.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
jirp

Post by jirp »

No idea. Ours is basically treated as a bishopric meeting except for no discussion of callings. Usually only about half the priesthood leaders show so it would not be effective any way.

Our ward council meets 1st and 3rd Sun with a 30 minute bishopric meeting before it.. PEC meets 2nd Sun with a slightly longer bishopric meeting before it and 4th and 5th Sundays are hour long bishopric meetings. Occassional Wed bishopric meetings as needed for the rest.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

What an interesting discussion. I noticed that in our stake when the new 2010 instructions came out that nobody really paid much attention, they kept just meeting the same way they always did.

It took a SP training with Bishoprics and specific direction to elevate the Ward Council. It was as if somebody was waiting to be told what to do.

There is too much of this needing to be told what to do. What we really know is that very little other than Ward Callings and disciplinary actions require a separate discussion from Ward Council. Everything else should be Ward Council. And men should just get used to getting kids ready for church.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Return to “General Discussions”