WWLT Broadcast

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
techgy
Community Moderators
Posts: 3174
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:48 pm
Location: California

WWLT Broadcast

Postby techgy » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:08 pm

Our stake chose to watch the 5:00 PM (Pacific) broadcast on Saturday 11/13/10 of the World-Wide Leadership Training. We had our share of problems, one in particular.

1) About 10 minutes prior to the end of the broadcast the ASL signal was lost completely. I had to switch over to the English channel and turn ON the closed captioning for the Deaf members in attendance.

2) About 4 minutes before the end of the broadcast the entire satellite signal dropped out. It stayed out for a couple of minutes then came back. This was during Elder Packer's closing remarks.

Although we did manage to obtain a couple of recordings of the broadcast earlier we watched this one live (rebroadcast) and I was curious as to if anyone else experienced similar problems.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 20752
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Postby russellhltn » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:19 pm

Interesting. I think that's the one I recorded (6PM MST) and will be showing shortly.

Your description sounds like Sun Fade, but it seems like the wrong time and season for that. Perhaps it was really bad local weather that affected the signal.
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

lajackson
Community Moderators
Posts: 6137
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:27 pm
Location: US

Postby lajackson » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:30 pm

techgy wrote:2) About 4 minutes before the end of the broadcast the entire satellite signal dropped out. It stayed out for a couple of minutes then came back. This was during Elder Packer's closing remarks.

Although we did manage to obtain a couple of recordings of the broadcast earlier we watched this one live (rebroadcast) and I was curious as to if anyone else experienced similar problems.


The program was encrypted, and our receiver lost the signal during the Noon MT broadcast, so it switched to the "You are not authorized to view this program" screen. As soon as the receiver regained the signal and authorization, the broadcast continued. We were out for just over a minute.

The broadcast is online at lds.org so you should have no problem getting a complete copy if needed.

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 20752
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Postby russellhltn » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:14 am

Thanks for the head's up. I checked the recording and did find a problem with the 6PM MST broadcast. It simply stopped and then displayed "Fade Mode" about a minute. It shortly after, it stopped and displayed "Not authorized". Again, for about a minute before resuming.

In both cases the cutoff was clean. No stray blocks or artifacts as I usually see when I get hit by sun fade.

I also noticed drop out on both main and ASL at a little after 9PM MST today.

I think they're having problems.
Have you searched the Wiki?

Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

techgy
Community Moderators
Posts: 3174
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:48 pm
Location: California

Postby techgy » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:52 am

RussellHltn wrote:Interesting. I think that's the one I recorded (6PM MST) and will be showing shortly.

Your description sounds like Sun Fade, but it seems like the wrong time and season for that. Perhaps it was really bad local weather that affected the signal.


Since the problem occurred around 6:50 PM and our sunshine had gone by then, sun-fade wasn't the issue. As to our weather, clear skies - just beautiful California weather conditions. Perhaps it could have been weather at the source.

I suspect that the problem was at the source. But, since I have two earlier recordings of the broadcast, I wasn't too concerned. More curious.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?

techgy
Community Moderators
Posts: 3174
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:48 pm
Location: California

Postby techgy » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:55 am

lajackson wrote:The program was encrypted, and our receiver lost the signal during the Noon MT broadcast, so it switched to the "You are not authorized to view this program" screen. As soon as the receiver regained the signal and authorization, the broadcast continued. We were out for just over a minute.

The broadcast is online at lds.org so you should have no problem getting a complete copy if needed.


I've considered that but I need the broadcast in a format that it can be played on a standard DVD player. In addition, it would probably take well over an hour to download it.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?


Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest