How can I get names to show up on maps?

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
jwtaber

Post by jwtaber »

ryan jones wrote:Also members can verify their own address. This will show up as member verified.
Is that the case now? It wasn't a few months ago.
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

JTaber wrote:Is that the case now? It wasn't a few months ago.
Yes, it was changed in some version. I know our ward clerk, before he was called a couple of months ago, was able to verify his own address.

In principle, I'm not sure this democratization is a great idea. Units might be trying to adopt consistent procedures, such as where to map the marker precisely on each residence, and how to group some addresses together. That would be harder to manage if everyone moves their own markers around.
atticusewig

Post by atticusewig »

Perhaps instead of just "verfied" it should say
"user-verified" or "leader-verified" or even "verfied by [username]"
Would help us determine which addresses are following whose
standards.

- Atticus
idjeeper2

Post by idjeeper2 »

Has anyone successfully exported the data to use with a gps or spreadsheet? The output includes name and latitude/longitude coordinates. These can be used to create a .kml file for use in google earth (where the name label can be shown on the map) or a .gpx file for use on a gps unit. I suppose it could also be used in an application like ArcGIS to get really fancy.

When I try the export, I only get the first household. I haven't found any way to select all households for export.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

idjeeper wrote:Has anyone successfully exported the data to use with a gps or spreadsheet? The output includes name and latitude/longitude coordinates. These can be used to create a .kml file for use in google earth (where the name label can be shown on the map) or a .gpx file for use on a gps unit. I suppose it could also be used in an application like ArcGIS to get really fancy.
The issue with export files being truncated has been discussed over on another thread: GEO Codes and Boundary Realignment. There you will see that it's rather hit and miss -- a few units can export successfully, but most seem to truncate the list.
idjeeper wrote:When I try the export, I only get the first household. I haven't found any way to select all households for export.
I'm sure it's no comfort, but you are the new leader in the race to export the fewest households -- you can only export 1, and the previous low was 8. Congratulations! :confused:
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

Alan_Brown wrote: I'm sure it's no comfort, but you are the new leader in the race to export the fewest households -- you can only export 1, and the previous low was 8. Congratulations! :confused:

No, I claim that title. My export retrieves headers only with 0 records.
williamjackson

Post by williamjackson »

boomerbubba wrote:No, I claim that title. My export retrieves headers only with 0 records.
It seems to be a problem with our ward, not boomerbubba's access rights. I'm his ward clerk, and I can only export the headings, too.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

subtlecoolness wrote:It seems to be a problem with our ward, not boomerbubba's access rights. I'm his ward clerk, and I can only export the headings, too.
Right. It doesn't matter who is doing the export; a particular ward or stake seems to currently export the exact same list for everyone who does the export. The results vary widely from unit to unit, but are consistent for a unit.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
idjeeper2

Post by idjeeper2 »

Alan_Brown wrote: I'm sure it's no comfort, but you are the new leader in the race to export the fewest households -- you can only export 1, and the previous low was 8. Congratulations! :confused:
boomerbubba wrote:No, I claim that title. My export retrieves headers only with 0 records.
Just my luck. Finally take the lead in something, only to lose it minutes later. It's not fair, I tell ya! What a life! Guess I'll eat some worms! :D

It's a really cool feature. Hope they can get it working at some point.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Alan_Brown wrote:Right. It doesn't matter who is doing the export; a particular ward or stake seems to currently export the exact same list for everyone who does the export. The results vary widely from unit to unit, but are consistent for a unit.

The developers must be scratching their heads over this one. I wonder if it has something to do with the check digit in the unit number? (Just kidding. I would be clueless.)
idjeeper wrote:Just my luck. Finally take the lead in something, only to lose it minutes later. It's not fair, I tell ya! What a life! Guess I'll eat some worms! :D

Eat the sugary, gummy type. I find they work best for worm eating demonstrations.

Return to “General Discussions”