How can I get names to show up on maps?

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
kanjitakahashi

How can I get names to show up on maps?

Post by kanjitakahashi »

At new.lds.org/maps, I can get each household to show up as a pip on the map, but what would really be useful would be for the name of the member to be displayed also. Is there any way to do this?
kanjitakahashi

map for consideration of new ward boundaries

Post by kanjitakahashi »

The stake president wants a map showing all the members in three wards. Looks like they are going to be rearranging ward boundaries. Any suggestions on how to do this?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

takahashi wrote:At new.lds.org/maps, I can get each household to show up as a pip on the map, but what would really be useful would be for the name of the member to be displayed also. Is there any way to do this?
There is a "print friendly version" of the page accessible from the interface control at the bottom of the map -- it's the fourth button from the left and looks like a printer. That will open a new window or tab in your browser with the map with numbers by each household, and then a legend below that will say: "1: Adams, John and Abigail; 2: Brown, William and Mary; 3: ..." formatted in columns. It's been a while since I have done this, and this morning I'm getting a server-side error, so I can't give more details right now, but check out that option -- it might work for you.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

takahashi wrote:The stake president wants a map showing all the members in three wards. Looks like they are going to be rearranging ward boundaries. Any suggestions on how to do this?
You can show one ward or the entire stake. And you can print one ward or the entire stake (as I explained in my previous post). But there's no option for selecting some number of wards other than one or all, at least that I can find.

You could generate each ward's map on the screen in turn, then use Alt+PrtSc to copy the browser window to the clipboard, then paste into a graphics program and try to reassemble the three wards. You'd have to be careful with zoom ratios and it would be a bit of a jigsaw puzzle exercise, but you might be able to make that work. For the legend, you would have numbers 1-100 (or whatever) for each ward, so you might use color coding to distinguish among the three wards on the merged map.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
kanjitakahashi

Post by kanjitakahashi »

Alan_Brown wrote:...and this morning I'm getting a server-side error, so I can't give more details right now, but check out that option -- it might work for you.
Thanks for the suggestions. I have also been getting a "Sorry, an error occurred processing this page" message when trying to use the print friendly version option. Anyone have any idea how long this feature will be out of commission?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

takahashi wrote:Thanks for the suggestions. I have also been getting a "Sorry, an error occurred processing this page" message when trying to use the print friendly version option. Anyone have any idea how long this feature will be out of commission?
I did a bit more research and discovered that the print-friendly page is not completely out of commission. Our stake has 7 wards plus the stake map; of those 8 units, 6 consistently give the server-side error, but 2 consistently work.

For the two wards that work, I was able to see that there are some nice new options available from the Display Options button since the last time I looked. Not only can you choose to have numbers place on the map tags for each household, but you also have the option to show the household (or group when multiple households are at one address) name on the tag. For the wards I looked at, the tags were a bit crowded and overlapped, but this feature has promise. There are also options for including address, phone numbers or email addresses on the directory page of the printout.

So you might want to try looking at some other wards in your stake. If you're lucky, you'll find at least one ward that works. Then you can become familiar with the features in anticipation of when the software problem is fixed. I have reported the problem using the Feedback link, by the way.
waynecooke

Post by waynecooke »

takahashi wrote:The stake president wants a map showing all the members in three wards. Looks like they are going to be rearranging ward boundaries. Any suggestions on how to do this?
Our stake did the same thing a couple of years ago, and my son-in-law was given the job of doing the computer renderings. He was very disappointed with the Churches mapping program, so he wrote one himself that was much easier to use and more efficient. There is always that option.
kanjitakahashi

Post by kanjitakahashi »

Alan_Brown wrote:I did a bit more research and discovered that the print-friendly page is not completely out of commission. Our stake has 7 wards plus the stake map; of those 8 units, 6 consistently give the server-side error, but 2 consistently work.

So you might want to try looking at some other wards in your stake. If you're lucky, you'll find at least one ward that works. Then you can become familiar with the features in anticipation of when the software problem is fixed. I have reported the problem using the Feedback link, by the way.
Stuck out on all 9 wards in my stake. God willing, the print friendly option will be back in operation soon.
rwoodmansee

Unverified Addresses

Post by rwoodmansee »

Nice features! Most of my families have unverified addresses even though it looks like they are in the right spot. Is there a way to 'verify' the addresses?
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

RWoodmansee wrote:Nice features! Most of my families have unverified addresses even though it looks like they are in the right spot. Is there a way to 'verify' the addresses?
Bishops, councilors, ward clerks, assistant clerks and executive secretaries can verify the addresses. See here for more details.

Also members can verify their own address. This will show up as member verified.

Return to “General Discussions”