Sophos on Dial-Up

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

Something sounds of on the dialup speed, haven't seen any cards for nearly ten years now that are less than a 56k card when it comes to dialup modems.

Here in Provo, I'm a mile from the switch, and when I used dialup I always got usually 49.2kbps. Once I got 52kbps but that was that once.

So where is the building and what is considered the 'calling area' according to the phone book (what area is the phone local 'prefix' not area code), in the ward or stake phone number in that office? Those two bits of information will say alot about why the dialup speed is so slow if it isn't some possibly screwed up modem card.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

JamesAnderson wrote:I force the update.
That's fine for a machine that has broadband, like a FHC. Not so good when it's on dial-up and MLS controls the connection. I saw it try to update, but MLS finished what it needed to do before Sophos got what it needed.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

JamesAnderson wrote:Something sounds of on the dialup speed, haven't seen any cards for nearly ten years now that are less than a 56k card when it comes to dialup modems.
The card may be 56k, but the actual connection speed depends on several factors, including the modem on the other end and -- most important -- the line quality. So it's entirely possible to get a connection speed of 24k or less with a 56k modem if your line is marginal.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

JamesAnderson wrote:Something sounds of[f] on the dialup speed, haven't seen any cards for nearly ten years now that are less than a 56k card when it comes to dialup modems.

The building is almost six miles from the central office. The phone company proudly declared to the person in charge of communications for the Church that the line is a 12.2kbps line, and that we were getting twice what we paid for. They billed the Church for coming out to troubleshoot the line and finding nothing wrong.

The modem is a 56k card. But MLS was timing out before it stepped down to the 24.4kbps that usually worked, and we did not connect with CHQ to transmit a financial batch for six weeks before the problem was finally resolved.

With the blessing of CHQ, we reset the modem to start at 39k and work down from there. Connections have been nearly 100%, albeit slow, since.

I suppose we could save a few seconds each week by reseting the modem to immediately connect at 24.4kbps. [grin]

The line has never connected faster than that. We could get a better line by making a dishonest request to the phone company. We made a specific determination, in conjunction with CHQ, not to do that.

Return to “General Discussions”